Dark Music for Bass Trombone and Percussion

IanDeterlingComposer

Dark Music for Bass Trombone and Percussion

Post by IanDeterlingComposer »

I recently finished a quartet for bass trombone and percussion - it's a three-movement piece around 17-18 minutes total:

Here are a few words about the piece:
Movement I. Moderato con il peso
The opening movement is rather barbaric. The primeval timpani part (in all three movements) was written with rhythm and melodic contour being more important than the clarity of each individual note. This is contrasted by the mysteriously churning middle section (beginning at m75) with the constantly rising and falling harmonies in the marimba and vibraphone. The bass trombone has optional 8va and/or 8vb in all three movements; these octave displacements are at the performer’s discretion.
Movement II. Andante con moto
The second movement fades in from nothing. This perpetually churning ‘inner turmoil’ motif that is used throughout this movement is an elaboration of some ideas from the first movement. The vibraphone is played at times with the wood of the mallets for a more delicate timbre. Bursts of emotion akin to l’appel du vide pepper the middle sections. After reprising the opening, this lament fades into the void.
Movement III. Con moto
The finale is a tour de force. Many of the melodies are light in nature, but still exist under a darkened shroud. Constructed out of various polyrhythms, the motifs and accompaniment material builds and builds to the dramatic ending.
All parts are fairly demanding - perfect if you know three heavy-hitting percussionists! I'm also working on creating MP3s of the percussion parts so the entire thing could be performed as a piece for solo bass trombone with backing audio.
Kingfan

Re: Dark Music for Bass Trombone and Percussion

Post by Kingfan »

I dropped the needle at several places (does that term give you an idea I'm a boomer? LOL!) and wow! I love it! This would be fun to play and I think would really engage the audience. Well done!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Oh, very nice. I'd love to shake the hand of the bass bone and marimba players who could perform the whole thing. Especially the marimba would require some serious endurance.

I listened to the whole thing. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
IanDeterlingComposer

Kingfan wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:44 pm I dropped the needle at several places (does that term give you an idea I'm a boomer? LOL!) and wow! I love it! This would be fun to play and I think would really engage the audience. Well done!
Thank you so much! Nah - hahaha, I read somewhere recently that record sales surpassed CD sales this year - I gladly admit to contributing to that (listening to a record of Ives's first symphony as I type this!)
IanDeterlingComposer

hyperbolica wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:30 pm Oh, very nice. I'd love to shake the hand of the bass bone and marimba players who could perform the whole thing. Especially the marimba would require some serious endurance.

I listened to the whole thing. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
I recorded the 3rd movement about a month ago and the 1st movement just a couple weeks ago here at the University of Wisconsin-Superior. The musicians were definitely breaking a sweat! Haha. The recordings (video and audio) are for a virtual concert that will be premiering December 8th - here's a link if you're interested: https://www.uwsuper.edu/calendar/sympho ... r479582664 Thank you so much!!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

No pedal D as the last note? Awww :(
IanDeterlingComposer

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:34 pm No pedal D as the last note? Awww :(
I have an 8vb in the last two measures!! I was asked to make that optional hahaha :)
lupusargentus

Post by lupusargentus »

Cool piece. Do you have a copy of the music available for sale?
IanDeterlingComposer

lupusargentus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:46 pm Cool piece. Do you have a copy of the music available for sale?
Thank you! And I do! Here's a link: https://www.iandeterling.com/quest
I changed the name from Quartet in D minor to Quest. I have an audio backing track of the percussion parts so it could be played as a solo with fixed media - in case that would interest you!
lupusargentus

Post by lupusargentus »

IanDeterlingComposer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:51 am
lupusargentus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:46 pm Cool piece. Do you have a copy of the music available for sale?
Thank you! And I do! Here's a link: https://www.iandeterling.com/quest
I changed the name from Quartet in D minor to Quest. I have an audio backing track of the percussion parts so it could be played as a solo with fixed media - in case that would interest you!
Thank you. I'll get it ordered in the next few days.
I'm sure I won't be able to do it justice but I promise I'll have fun doing it badly.
DontEatJunkFood

Post by DontEatJunkFood »

Thank you. Excellent. Bravo. :P

Serious music with a bit of humor at measure 107, "Play about 5 or 7 times".

Thank you again.
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

Beautiful piece that will be a major challenge. Congratulations!!!

You mention an audio backing track being available? Yes I would be very interested! Please advise.

Have it downloaded now. Warmup next then to WORK!! 8-)

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”