Bach Partita #2 in D Minor

AndrewMeronek

Bach Partita #2 in D Minor

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Thinking as a study in compositon, although Perlman is always fantastic as well. This piece of music in particular makes me feel quite inadequate as a composer. One person, one instrument, and sooooo much depth and material. It's actually become one of my favorites of Bach's music. The cello suites are also great, and we trombonists tend to be a lot more familiar with them, but I feel like Bach must have really been in an inspired mood when he penned this one. And I understand that violinists love this, and that it's also one of the most demanding pieces of solo violin literature.

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Posaunus

Re: Bach Partita #2 in D Minor

Post by Posaunus »

So sorry, Andrew - this video has been blocked.

I must agree that this is a truly inspired composition, and that Perlman plays it marvelously. (I have his CD set of all the Bach Sonatas and Partitas for violin.) Indeed a favorite of all fiddlers!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Posaunus wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:33 pm So sorry, Andrew - this video has been blocked.

I must agree that this is a truly inspired composition, and that Perlman plays it marvelously. (I have his CD set of all the Bach Sonatas and Partitas for violin.) Indeed a favorite of all fiddlers!
You can watch it on Youtube.

Bach is one of those few composers that can bring me to tears with a majority of his works.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

A different performance from another legend:

Yup, this one is not blocked. :cool:

- Thelonious Monk
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Bach was a spiritual person.

To me, this spirituality is very evident in his violin sonatas / partitas. Especially Partita #2. Very moving.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

A different interpretation from the HIP/Alte Musik perspective:

Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Kbiggs wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:46 am A different interpretation from the HIP/Alte Musik perspective:

Interesting! I can definitely appreciate the greater emphasis on separation. But overall I have a hard time digging it. The more separated style to me suggests more of an emphasis on the dance forms, but the performance still has huge amounts of rubato, which then completely takes away from a dance-like feel. With Perlman's performance, it's more like he's singing and aria, and rubatos 'fit' better with that approach. IMHO.

- Thelonious Monk

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”