Neil Diamond “Play Me” for big Band?

Eyedoc

Neil Diamond “Play Me” for big Band?

Post by Eyedoc »

Does anyone know of this piece arranged for 17 piece big band? Recommendations for good waltz time pieces? Instrumental or vocal, we have both male and female singers.
Our big band has realized that our best market is dances. The dance community has asked for more waltzes and Keep max tempo about 100 bpm.
AndrewMeronek

Re: Neil Diamond “Play Me” for big Band?

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I don't know specifically of "Play Me" but there exists thousands of "stock" charts written back in the 1930s-1960s which are designed to be flexible instrumental/vocal charts, where if a vocalist can sing a tune in a particular range, it's easy to just have whatever section (i.e., saxes or brass) plays the melody to lay out while the vocalist sings. These stocks include waltzes.

Look specifically for "stocks", not the made-for-educational-use kind of charts by the likes of Bob Lowden which can be more difficult to adapt as the melody typically gets passed around at a faster pace between sections. Unless, of course, you know for sure that the chart is a waltz/vocal/etc. that happens to fit your needs. Many stock charts are unfortunately out of print but not out of copyright, so trying to find them in online stores can be a problem.

Also: many of these stocks are for 14-16 piece big bands. IMHO this can be good opportunities to give lead trumpet/bone players the ability to share that role and take breaks. If there are only 4 saxes, usually the bari doubles lead alto.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Eyedoc

Post by Eyedoc »

Thank you for the info.
I should add, I am looking for songs that the dancers will recognize and possibly more contemporary.

Has anyone played the "Mr Bojangles" available on Bigbandcharts.com?
Conn100HGuy

Post by Conn100HGuy »

We've recently purchased a number of charts from Paul Hyde (Dr. Bone) including Latins and waltzes that are very playable, very recognizable and very reasonably priced. Give him a try!

https://www.drbone.co.uk/the-johnny-spi ... tra-charts
Onward and Upward

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”