12 Vocalises Élémentaires, Op.13 - Marchesi

muschem

12 Vocalises Élémentaires, Op.13 - Marchesi

Post by muschem »

In reading through some old forum posts, I ran across a mention of Marchesi as an alternative to Bordogni/Rochut. I was not previously familiar with her work, but there are a number of her vocalises available on IMSLP. I thought I'd transcibe some for better accessibility. I started with 12 Elementary Vocalises, Op. 13:

https://imslp.org/wiki/12_Vocalises_%C3 ... _Mathilde)

Here is the collection arranged in MuseScore format:

https://musescore.com/user/35220672/sets/5109521

Each of the 12 vocalises is a separate file. The solo part is broken out in each file, so you can open them in MuseScore and export just that part in PDF for easier reading. I kept the original keys in this first pass at the set, but they could easily be transposed up or down for a more challenging tessiatura, or switched to tenor or alto clef for clef practice, etc. I haven't taken a lot of time to fiddle with the tempos to account for rallentandos, fermatas, etc, so if you use MuseScore for accompaniment, it will just play straight through at a constant tempo in the current format. I retained the original double-slur markings, which I read as indicating articulation and also phrasing, but the phrasing marks could easily be removed and replaced with appropriate breath marks if the convention is distracting.

To the best of my knowledge, the work I used as source is in the Public Domain (it is listed as such on IMSLP). There isn't a specific publication date listed for the source, but I would assume it to have originally published in the mid-to-late 1800s. If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear about it. My version isn't so much an "arrangement" as a straight transcription, but in any case, I'm not looking to place any restrictions on the work - I just hope it is useful to someone. In the original keys, I think these are very approachable, even for younger/newer players, and in any case, they make a nice change of pace from some of the more well-worn literature in our library.

Enjoy!
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
robcat2075

Re: 12 Vocalises Élémentaires, Op.13 - Marchesi

Post by robcat2075 »

Those are great. I've transcribed them to Musecore also, using them as cello material :D

Matilda is definitely PD now. I think that Op 13 is her best set, as far as re-purposing them for instrumentalists might go.

What I like about them is
  • They are genuinely musical with strong themes. As good as Bordogni or better.
  • They are short. The musical point is made with economy
  • The accompaniments are easy. A parent or older sibling with a bit of piano in their past could plunk through these and be a real partner in a living room recital. Likewise for many trombone teachers who are not strong pianists
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”