Playing an Orchestra Concert when the power goes out

SirJohn

Playing an Orchestra Concert when the power goes out

Post by SirJohn »

Anyone else have experiences like this one:
http://www.bloomingtonsymphony.com/news/2122/

My son was playing for it and I was working backstage. I was one of the ones holding cell phones and distributing gaffers tape.
JohnL

Re: Playing an Orchestra Concert when the power goes out

Post by JohnL »

I've been blacked out a couple times, though it was due to miscommunication with lighting techs, not a general power failure. I usually have a battery powered stand light in my mute bag (and since my music glasses are also in the mute bag, it's with me whenever I play).
Gary

Post by Gary »

I was playing a concert in Sicily, once, in a field adjacent to the town, assumedly because it could handle crowds better than anyplace in town. We had a lot of logistics, also. At the first downbeat - we were plugged in to a town electronic source - the entire town went dark. We blew it's entire electronics.

We couldn't play because we couldn't see that well. Eventually, it was modified and we continued playing.

It happened several other times, and we either modified the program so it didn't rely on our electronic instruments so much, or in extreme situations, I have gone from large ensemble down to brass, woodwind quintets and Dixieland bands.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I cannot vouch for the truth of this story, because it happened before my time. The director of Notre Dame Bands when I was there in 1971, Robert O'Brien, swore it was true.

He said this college band just after the war was made up of mostly military players using their GI bill, and pretty decent musicians. He announced to the concert audience that they were going to sightread a new march written for the occasion. The power failed after the first strain, and in the dark the band improvised a trio and dogfight. That caused people to doubt his credibility in claiming it would be sightread.

I dunno. Makes a good story, and it could be true. On the other hand...............
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I keep a battery powered stand light in my mute bag. It comes in handy sometimes, even for indoor gigs. We played a quintet gig at an art museum recently and the light was awful. Fortunately, I was able to see with my stand light. You can get these for $15-$20 online and they are great.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

In northern Maine there were a lot of little town bands open to anyone who wanted to play back in the 1980s. I went to New Stockholm, Maine and we were all in the band gazebo when a thunderstorm hit us on the first number. Not only did we lose electricity, the shutters over the windows were lowered to keep the rain out. The band played on and the person sitting next to me asked why I didn't play after they were done with the piece. I told him I wasn't familiar with the Swedish national song. The rain stopped for the rest of the pieces we played so we could open the shutters but the electricity never returned while we were there. Folks listened to us in their cars with their windows rolled down. There was enough light to play and I enjoyed playing with that group.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stanzabone

Post by stanzabone »

walldaja wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:13 am Folks listened to us in their cars with their windows rolled down.
I was stationed in Portsmouth, NH in the early 80's, playing in the band that was stationed at Pease AFB before it was deactivated. We played more than one of these town gazebo drive-in concerts. They beeped their (car) horns in lieu of applause. Good times... :biggrin:
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

One of my first gigs moving to San Diego was playing with the SD Sym... Janocek Sinfonietta. I was playing 4th I think, and the regular bass trombonist in the last year of 30 was playing 3rd. At that time we were on the old plywood risers (the orch has upgraded to permanent risers, more substantial.) This player, very respected in his day, had hearing problems and kept time by banging (not tapping) his foot. Music stands, chairs, mutes, etc. were bouncing all over the place.

Those of you who know this music know that in the 2nd movement for 50+ measures the 3rd and 4th trombone play constant 8th notes Bb/C Eb. It was almost impossible to keep track of what measure we were on with all the thumping and bouncing of the riser. Just at the end of that movement, (relief for me), there was a blackout, emergency lights came on, the conductor at the time (an Hungarian with fiery Toscanini-like temper) stormed off the stage, cussed out the stagehands in a voice the audience could hear. After a few minutes the power came back on, the conductor came back out and apologized to the audience and said "Ve vill start at der beginning".

I went through the same agonizing thumping, bumping, and having no idea which measure I was playing on the bouncing music stand. I lost 5-10 pounds that night, mostly in nervous sweat.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Jimprindle wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:45 pm ... the conductor at the time (an Hungarian with fiery Toscanini-like temper) ...
Zoltán Rozsnyai?

Return to “Performance”