Tuba behind trombone..

Tbarh

Tuba behind trombone..

Post by Tbarh »

I have noticed that the low brass Section of the Chicago Symphony has been playing with the tuba situated behind the trombone... Anyone here know the reasoning behind that? Any advantages?

Trond
BGuttman

Re: Tuba behind trombone..

Post by BGuttman »

It may be related to the size of the stage and how the orchestra is fit on.

We had to fit a chorus on stage and it didn't allow us to be 4 in a row (3 trombones + tuba) so we put Trombones 1 and 2 in front of 3 and the tuba.

Incidentally, I remember seeing pictures of the CSO with the four of them in a line. Maybe the 3+1 was an anomaly.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

BGuttman wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:29 pm It may be related to the size of the stage and how the orchestra is fit on.

We had to fit a chorus on stage and it didn't allow us to be 4 in a row (3 trombones + tuba) so we put Trombones 1 and 2 in front of 3 and the tuba.

Incidentally, I remember seeing pictures of the CSO with the four of them in a line. Maybe the 3+1 was an anomaly.
Actually, there is plenty of room for the tuba to the right.. And... It is not a one-time thing as i have seen it on several videos.. Any more takers?
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Maybe the 1st and 2nd trombone can hear the tuba better when it is right behind them rather than on the side.

In wich direction does the tuba bell point?
What is behind the tuba?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:34 am Maybe the 1st and 2nd trombone can hear the tuba better when it is right behind them rather than on the side.

In wich direction does the tuba bell point?
What is behind the tuba?
This would be my guess. In addition, I think the old setup had the tuba towards the center, with the trombones arranged from conductor's left to right. With that setup, the bell was pointed over the cylindrical brass. With the new placement of the low brass, towards the right of the stage, the bell would point away from the section.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

I noticed that the Philadelphia Orchestra has changed their seating this year as well, tuba behind the trombones instead of next to.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Is there really room on the Orchestra Hall stage to move the tuba behind the trombones (who usually sit in the very back row)? Do the trombones move forward a row?
Or is this seating plan used for other venues?
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Could be because Gene has a hearing impairment on his right ear of course, but my suspicion is that the balance gets easier to monitor.. (since the Philadelphia Orchestra also does this its more likely)

Return to “Performance”