Backing tracks

bigbandbone

Backing tracks

Post by bigbandbone »

Here's a 2 part question. Keep in mind I'm older and tech challenged.

First, where do I get backing tracks. Not just "play-a-longs", but full arrangements, intro to ending, minus the lead line. I'm not tech savvy enough to create my own, so commercially available ready to play is a must.

Second, what devices would I need to organize and use them in a public performance. Please keep suggestions as basic and simple as possible. Right now the only " device I own is a 4 year old iPad. No lap top or desk top, but realize I might need to purchase hardware.

I've been watching the George Roberts video's on YouTube and like try something like he was doing.

Thanks
SimmonsTrombone

Re: Backing tracks

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

There are at least a couple of George Roberts songbooks that come with the music and backing tracks on cd. I think I got mine at hickeys.com.
As for performance, you either need a CD player and amp, or you could rip the cd to an audio file using a computer and play it back on a laptop or your iPad, again with an amp and speaker system.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I had really good luck with a Spot Light play along series from England. I'm sorry but all my former sax play alongs have been sold because I now play brass. If you can find this series it is first class.
Grah

Post by Grah »

My recommendation is to purchase the software program Band-in-a-Box by PG Music.

https://www.pgmusic.com/about.htm

It can be run with Windows or a Mac but I would recommend Windows. Which means you will have to get a computer and some good speakers. Then you will have a great backing for practicing at home or playing to an audience.

Please be warned that this is not suitable for loading a full written big band arrangement without the lead line. However, you can have a great rhythm section and extra instruments. So it is eminently suitable for small band recreations of parts. You do have to possess sufficient musical knowledge to enter chords and music lines.

I use this program for all my practicing and for the first stages of writing my own big band arrangements.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Start here:
https://www.musicdispatch.com/index.jsp?subsiteid=325
Many other sources of similar material are on Google.
All you need is a CD player.
Newer versions include Internet backing tracks downloaded to a computer, but the old CD system is still available.
Try to find vendors that let you listen to sample tracks Online before buying, as some of the accompaniments are instrumental, but others are the not so realistic electronic MIDI format.

For public performance, you might want to upgrade from a simple CD player.
I have a very good CD player that also accepts backing tracks from the computer. It has functions to independently alter the pitch and the tempo of the music. It feeds into a receiver that drives the speakers. I am nearly electronically illiterate and I'm OK with the setup. The cost was around $600 for everything.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Performance”