Favorite trombone quartet albums

norbie2018

Favorite trombone quartet albums

Post by norbie2018 »

Albums? I'm showing my age. The title explains it all. I'll go first: Four of a Kind, Vol 1 & Vienna Trombone Quartet Russian Melodies. The former has standard rep played superbly. The latter contains string ensemble pieces arranged for trombone quartet: superb playing as well.
dershem

Re: Favorite trombone quartet albums

Post by dershem »

Winding * Mangelsdorff * Watrous * Whigham - Trombone Summit.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

There are 4 great recordings by the Triton Trombone Quartet (German group). Fantastic pitch and blend. The 2 Four of a Kind CD's are great, as is Trombones Under the Tree (Christmas album). The World Trombone Quartet CD is fantastic, and there are some great clips on the Edwards site/Youtube of an upcoming release by the Aries Trombone Quartet. Lastly, there are a couple of great recordings of the Vienna Trombone Quartet. I'd strongly recommend all of these recordings to any trombonists looking for inspiration as well as looking for new repertoire ideas.

Jim Scott
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

dershem wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:16 pm Winding * Mangelsdorff * Watrous * Whigham - Trombone Summit.
Yes, and any of the old Winding quartet albums, Panorama, Cleveland, etc.. And these are the finest examples of what a trombone section should sound like.
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

'Christmas with the Nittany Trombone Quartet' 25th anniversary recording of unique Christmas arrangements from four Penn State trombone alumni. The group organized as a student quartet playing arrangements completed as class assignments - and now they are each well-recognized players in their own right. Go see them live - they still get together periodically to perform - usually at Christmastime.
afugate

Post by afugate »

dershem wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:16 pm Winding * Mangelsdorff * Watrous * Whigham - Trombone Summit.
Thank you! :good: I wasn't aware of this album.

I gave it a listen and thoroughly enjoyed it. Passed it on to our trombone playing daughter. It's been her primary tune list ever since. :)

--Andy in OKC.
jthomas105

Post by jthomas105 »

More recent are the Maniacal 4 recordings. I may be favorable to them because Alex Dubrov plays bass trombone along with me in the same big band and as well as being a really good player he is even a better person.
Midnightboner

Post by Midnightboner »

Overtures by Slokar trombones is incredible

Return to “Performance”