Lip rubbing on teeth?

bassbonebuster

Lip rubbing on teeth?

Post by bassbonebuster »

The left side of my bottom lip runs across the bottom of my top teeth as I change partials. It’s gets a little raw after awhile, but doesn’t seem to hurt my playing. Anyone have experience with this?
Doug Elliott

Re: Lip rubbing on teeth?

Post by Doug Elliott »

Sometimes a change in rim shape or size can help with that. Maybe your jaw position or angle isn't ideal, causing you to use a little too much pressure there. Or maybe it's completely normal - I get that if I play a demanding gig when I haven't been playing much.

I'd have to see it to give you a valid opinion.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I get that occasionally. To cure the rubbed spot, I use an old time brass players’ remedy which used to be sold as Tincture of Myrrh. I found some at my local health food store labeled simply Myrrh. It contains myrrh and alcohol. Ignore the instructions on the bottle. Just use the dropper to put a few drops on the sore spot. It tastes terrible, but you get used to it. I checked with my pharmacist on this, and she says myrrh is an old remedy for mouth sores that is now replaced by prescription drugs.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

My two approaches:

Find the offending sharp edges on the teeth and file them down with a diamond file.

Find what the offending chop movement is and practice a new one to avoid the trouble.

(Bruce will likely now move this to the health forum.)
bassbonebuster

Post by bassbonebuster »

It appears to be my Doug Yeo mouthpiece. My chinook, Schilke 59 & 60 don’t rub. Too bad they don’t sound as good as the Yeo, but I’m looking at some other mouthpiece options.

Return to “Performance”