Interesting problem

bigbandbone

Interesting problem

Post by bigbandbone »

I'd never played the 4th/bass tbone book until about 2 months ago. I was asked to take it over for a gent who was leaving a band. So I picked up a used 50H (the only thing I could afford) and a 5GS mouthpiece. I'm really loving it! Who knew low notes were so much fun!

But, they keep pushing solos down to me. Can't play above an F on the 5GS. Biggest mouthpiece I've ever had. I thought I could just bring my Muck 23 to the jobs, switch mouthpieces when a solo was coming up, and play the kind of solo's they have heard me play on my .485 pea shooter. I found out the hard way that doesn't work! It's not the bore size that hangs me up. It's going from a big mouthpiece to a small mouthpiece so abruptly.

So, I guess I have to learn how to play impressive low note solo's. Who are some bass bone soloists I can listen to to get an idea of what is possible when playing an up tempo solo and not going above an F? Are there any?
Matt K
Verified

Re: Interesting problem

Post by Matt K »

Are you talking about fourth space F on the bass clef staff or two spaces above the bass clef? If the latter... you still have plenty of space to work with (I would be really surprised if your Muck 23 allowed you more than what an extra 4th comfortably?, so up to middle Bb of treble clef?) If it's the former, you should probably have someone take a look at your embouchure because that is a really limited range and there's probably something you can be doing differently without too much of a change to expand your range by a lot.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

You'll get used to it!

You did basically what I just did and are experiencing a triple whammy; going from a small-bore with a small rim & shallow cup; to a large-bore, with a larger rim and much deeper cup. It's just - - - - - different; all around much different from what your chops are used to.

Hang in there. Practice your fundamentals. It'll come.
jthomas105

Post by jthomas105 »

a conn 50h is not a large bore. .525 medium bore
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

A much larger volume of air is needed in every range with a setup that much larger than your previous.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you want to hear excellent bass trombone playing, check out George Roberts. There are a lot of YouTube postings of him.

For a more modern player check out Dave Taylor.

But understand, they are playing much larger equipment.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

While the 50H is a medium trombone, you can still play the notes. It’s good for every trombonist to play in the lower register as well as the upper register.

Find a tuner and a good bass trombone tutor, both a book and a teacher. Books I suggest:

Roberts and Tanner, Let’s Play Bass Trombone. Out of print, but worth it.
Lew Gillis, 70 Progressive Etudes.
Leo. Ostrander. He has several books with similar names. Get the simplest one. It’s got more than enough to get you started and keep you going.

Otherwise, play lots of scales, slurs, and long tones. Lots of ‘em.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The Conn 50H is a fine "step-up" model trombone with a .522" bore, 8½" bell and F-attachment. Takes small-shank mouthpieces. The Bach 6½AL is sort of a classic mouthpiece for this size trombone - 5GS is only a tiny bit larger with a slightly smaller throat. With this equipment, you should have no problem playing F above the staff. To be honest, it's quite small to expect to create a typical modern 4th/bass trombone sound.

I suggest sticking with what you have, setting the very small (bass trumpet-size) Muck 23 and 20H Connquest peashooter aside for a few months, taking some lessons from a competent teacher - and practice practice practice.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Just for fun tonight (and it WAS fun!), I decided to play an assortment from the Rochut #1 book; swapping back 'n forth between my small-bore Martin Urbie Green and my large-bore Yamaha 620. Since my Yamaha tends to play a little light, I figured the difference between the two horns would be roughly the same as the two you are playing. Yes, it took a little bit more work for some of the higher notes, along with some of the longer phrases on the 620 - using a larger, deeper mpc than I use on my Urbie Green. But it was certainly very, very doable.

A few months ago, when I first picked up my Yamaha 620 and popped in a Bach 5G mpc, it wasn't. Like you, I had trouble getting as high on the staff as I was accustomed. It kinda stymied my chops a while. But with diligent practice, I now find it very playable up there, although I can tell it takes me a little more effort than on the smaller horn, especially with it's smaller Bach 6.5A mpc.

Neither of us are playing extremely large mpcs. Both the 5G and 5GS are very common sizes. Keep at it. You'll figure it out and you'll be fine. But hey! By all means, take some lessons. They sure have helped me!

Return to “Performance”