Mozart's Requiem

Bassbonechandler

Mozart's Requiem

Post by Bassbonechandler »

Hello all,

I have a chance to play Mozart's Requiem later this semester and I was wondering what anyone's thoughts on what horn I should use. Should I try and see if my college has a single valve bass for me to use for the performance? I also have a slightly smalller mouthpiece I could use.
Slideorama

Re: Mozart's Requiem

Post by Slideorama »

Still in school? Use your regular equipment.
Michael Lawson
Freelance Trombonist
Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Bass? Why?
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

Bach5G wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:02 pmBass? Why?
Yes first will be on alto.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

How about 2nd? If he's using his regular horn, keep with your regular horn.

When you "size down" for the Requiem, 1st plays an alto, 2nd plays a small bore tenor (like a Conn 6H), and 3rd plays a large bore tenor with F (like a Conn 88H).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
GBP

Post by GBP »

Play whatever instrument will allow you to play in tune with your best sound. Sometimes we can get so caught up in equipment, we forget what really matters; sound. There is nothing worse than a principal playing alto that hasn’t spent the time on the horn.
blast

Post by blast »

Bassbonechandler wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:09 pm Hello all,

I have a chance to play Mozart's Requiem later this semester and I was wondering what anyone's thoughts on what horn I should use. Should I try and see if my college has a single valve bass for me to use for the performance? I also have a slightly smalller mouthpiece I could use.
If you play all the music in a good style on your regular trombone you will have done well, especially if it is the busy version (there are at least 3 versions). A single valve bass is not usually any smaller than a double valve bass.
Musical style trumps equipment in most situations, just don't turn up to a top pro period ensemble with modern equipment.

Chris
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

The last time I played it, 1st was on alto, I played 2nd also on alto, and 3rd was on a large tenor.
I had brought both tenor and alto, only because I didn't know the other players and wanted to have the alto just in case, but it turned out he was an excellent alto player and after experimenting, the sound of both altos was a great blend with the tenor on 3rd. I should have stayed on alto for Tuba Mirum but I switched to my 36B for that.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

blast wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:53 am
Bassbonechandler wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:09 pm Hello all,

If you play all the music in a good style on your regular trombone you will have done well, especially if it is the busy version (there are at least 3 versions). A single valve bass is not usually any smaller than a double valve bass.
Musical style trumps equipment in most situations, just don't turn up to a top pro period ensemble with modern equipment.

Chris
I couldn't agree more! One problem with the idea that everyone MUST change equipment for performing this music is that it doesn't take into account whether the rest of the orchestra is also adjusting their equipment, and how comfortable will the players be with the different horns. Tuning and security in soft playing are the biggest issues to deal with, along with the musical style that Chris cites.

Full disclosure, my section does "scale down" a bit when I play alto, but rather than smaller bore instruments, the 2nd and bass play lighter horns of the same bore that blend nicely with my alto. This works for us, because everyone is familiar and comfortable with the instruments being used, and we concentrate on playing in a light manner.

There's nothing wrong with sections that play this music on even smaller equipment, but picking up a strange instrument to try to achieve the "correct" sound might create other problems. Play it on what you can sound best on, and listen to a few good recordings to hear the way that the trombones fit in this great music.

Jim Scott
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:55 am
blast wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:53 am If you play all the music in a good style on your regular trombone you will have done well, especially if it is the busy version (there are at least 3 versions). A single valve bass is not usually any smaller than a double valve bass.

Chris
I couldn't agree more! One problem with the idea that everyone MUST change equipment for performing this music is that it doesn't take into account whether the rest of the orchestra is also adjusting their equipment, and how comfortable will the players be with the different horns. Tuning and security in soft playing are the biggest issues to deal with, along with the musical style that Chris cites.

Full disclosure, my section does "scale down" a bit when I play alto, but rather than smaller bore instruments, the 2nd and bass play lighter horns of the same bore that blend nicely with my alto. This works for us, because everyone is familiar and comfortable with the instruments being used, and we concentrate on playing in a light manner.

There's nothing wrong with sections that play this music on even smaller equipment, but picking up a strange instrument to try to achieve the "correct" sound might create other problems. Play it on what you can sound best on, and listen to a few good recordings to hear the way that the trombones fit in this great music.

Jim Scott
This !!
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
Savio

Post by Savio »

You could borrow my 70h for a reasonable cost per day. :biggrin: Ok, just joking , listen this trombone players above, they are professional orchestra players. I will never be, but I belive most musical styles can be done with one trombone? Its different for tenor players since they might have to play an alto sometimes. I think most of us regular bass trombone players could do everything from jazz to modern music with one trombone?

Leif

Return to “Performance”