Playing after shoulder surgery

Tarkus697

Playing after shoulder surgery

Post by Tarkus697 »

So after a few months of PT and no happy results, an MRI confirmed I have a SLAP Tear in the labrum of my left shoulder. Currently this does not impact my playing. I'm getting a cortisone shot with ultrasound (so they can get it right into the labrum) on Tuesday but if this does not help, I'm facing the possibility of surgery to repair it and get my full range of motion back.

I'm looking at a minimum of 3 weeks in a sling and then another 3 minimum for PT and strength building.

Has anyone every gone through this kind of surgery before? What was the recovery like? How easy was it to pick up your horn again after?

If I do need the surgery, I've got a 6 week window between wedding gigs coming up where I'd like to schedule it so it doesn't interfere.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
Kbiggs

Re: Playing after shoulder surgery

Post by Kbiggs »

I have not had the surgery. I did have iopathic bilateral shoulder impingement a few years ago. I went through PT and it helped. While continuing PT, I got out my old ErgoBone so I could play until my range of motion and strength had worked back to a level that I could hold the horn for a decent period.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
ldmitruk

Post by ldmitruk »

I broke my left collar bone, elbow and several ribs few years ago and it took some time for it felt normal again, about a year or so. I started playing about 6 weeks after the accident as I was only in a sling for a couple weeks and then away on holidays. During rehearsals as my arm started to feel rather stiff quickly and I had to move it around to keep it feeling loose. I usually took a Tylenol and an ibuprofen before rehearsal or practising to keep things down to a dull roar. I basically tired to power through the discomfort and things got better week by week.

Hope you heel up well.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Tarkus697 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:44 am So after a few months of PT and no happy results, an MRI confirmed I have a SLAP Tear in the labrum of my left shoulder.
It will heal, but it will never be right.

<sorry!!! but you don't get that opening very often!>
maltbyprice

Post by maltbyprice »

So, my youngest son (that plays bass tbn in college) had labrum surgery last summer on his right shoulder. In order to keep up his chops, I bought a Besson euphonium from Quinn The Eskimo. I live 15 minutes from his business, so we got to play it before buying it. It really helped keep up his chops.

The labrum surgery went well. LOTS of Physical therapy. He used a specialized sling for about a month. He had to use his left hand more. I told him he would give his right arm to be ambidextrous!

He's fully healed now - nice to be young!!!
Mbasara

Post by Mbasara »

I’ve had three rotator cuff surgeries within a span of ten years. Two were tears in the shoulder, one each left and right. The third was a longitudinal tear in the bicep, which was the same surgery. While they were in there, they ground out the bone spurs that were causing my tendonitis. I followed the rehab completely and they are better then before the tears. My rehab averaged 4-6 months.
I wasn’t playing trombone at the time but was playing baritone in a drum and bugle Corps. I modified a trombone stand pipe and did some creative stuff to hold my baritone level with my lips and then all I had to do was use my fingers on my good arm to move the valves. I was able to play at practices without holding any weight.
Good luck with you shoulder.
cboalesjr

Post by cboalesjr »

Best wishes... I've torn my left shoulder apart twice now, most recently labrum, infraspinatus, supraspinatus. Currently in a sling. I amsure I'll work hard enough to get good strength back (in my seventies), but I am also looking at possible assists. I have been watching YouTube for both the Ergobone and the Trombone Spinesaver. When I recover, I'll be mostly playing by myself for a year, so I see no reason to hold the horn if it can be supported. It also appears that performing publicly using these devices is easily possible. Hope your recovery is swift. Charlie

Return to “Performance”