Trombone (or Euph), Cello, Piano, Violin

MrHCinDE

Trombone (or Euph), Cello, Piano, Violin

Post by MrHCinDE »

Anyone got some suggestions for chamber music with a combination from Trombone (or Euph), Cello, Piano and Violin? It doesn't necessarily have to be for all of the above but ideally should include at least trombone/euph and cello.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Telemann Sonata in F minor for Bassoon: I played this before on Euph with Cello and Harpsichord but this time Harpsichord isn't an option, anyone tried it with Cello and Piano?

or

Mozart Sonata for Bassoon and Cello
LeTromboniste

Re: Trombone (or Euph), Cello, Piano, Violin

Post by LeTromboniste »

It can make sense to have a cello on the continuo line when playing with harpsichord to offer more support to the bass line, but I'd say with piano, it's a little bit redundant and not really idiomatic. It's also tricky with baroque music written for trombone or cello or bassoon as a solo instrument, because the solo part frequently doubles or ornaments the bass line and in that case you end up having everybody playing the bass line, which isn't great. There are pieces by Oswald (17th century) for violin, trombone and bass viol. Not sure if it would work well with piano though and there is no modern edition of it that I know of, let alone editions with a written out continuo realization...
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Are you sure harpsichord isn't an option? Midi keyboards can be used with incredibly powerful sound librarie to get the sound you want for not a lot of money.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Special_Keyboards/Harpsichord
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Persechetti Sonata no. 6 is for tbone, viola, and cello.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Thanks for the suggestions, I like the sound of a harpsichord played on keyboard which could open up a lot more repertoire.

I've had a bit more a trawl round youtube and absolutely love what this guy (and the other musicians) are doing:
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

MrHCinDE wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:21 am Thanks for the suggestions, I like the sound of a harpsichord played on keyboard which could open up a lot more repertoire.

I've had a bit more a trawl round youtube and absolutely love what this guy (and the other musicians) are doing:

That's for 2 violins, trombone, and no cello, though.

That's a really good CD, probably one of the CDs I've listened to the most, but I've grown a bit conflicted about it the last few years. I have the utmost respect for Jorgen as a modern trombone player and artist, and his sackbut CD is one of the reasons I started playing sackbut in the first place; the energy in particular is really fun. But I have to say the trombone playing sticks out as being very modern (I'm not sure exactly what he would have played differently if he had played on a modern trombone, for instance), vs the rest of the band who clearly know what they're doing, and it's a bit of a pity. So I guess I would say enjoy it as a really good trombone CD by one of the best modern trombone players in the world, but if you're interested in playing that kind of music I would just caution against using it as a guide to shape your concepts of articulations and sound and phrasing for music of that style and era. For that you may want to look for CDs of Caecilia Consort, Quicksilver, Sacabuche!, among others.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen

Return to “Performance”