Candide, Scottish Opera Production (version)

LarryPrestonRoberson

Candide, Scottish Opera Production (version)

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

Georgia State University Symphony Orchestra and Opera Theater Workshop is performing Candide this semester. We are using the Scottish Opera version. The maestro confirmed my suspicion that it has only two trombone parts. As we are renting the parts, which arrive the day before we begin preparing, we aren't sure what those parts look like. I am going to see if maestro will let me see the score as soon as he gets it. My teacher said he recalls the 2nd part being more bass trombone-like than tenor. If anyone can confirm, please feel free to comment on the nature of said second part. I am principal trombone and I usually assign the parts. And having advance notice will help me with determining part assignments, scheduling sectionals, etc. I would appreciate any information and performance considerations anyone can provide.

Also, I have reached out to Mr. Chris Stearn. If I'm not mistaken, he had joined the Scottish Opera by the period of those performances occurred. Hopefully, he will chime in here as well. It would be great insight to this renowned version of the work.
Last edited by LarryPrestonRoberson on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulyg

Re: Candide, Scottish Opera Production (version)

Post by paulyg »

If the West Side Story parts are anything to go off, the second part is indeed a bass trombone part.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
blast

Post by blast »

Yes,it is one tenor and one bass. The version we used at Scottish Opera was a re-working by John Mauceri, a student of Bernstein who became our Music Director in Scotland. He worked closely with Bernstein to create a really effective performing version of Candide, a sort of opera/musical hybrid that had never really settled as a working theatre piece.
The Mauceri version has proved be the definitive take on Bernstein's work. Bernstein came over for the premiere. He was so moved at the dress rehearsal that he came down to the pit in tears at the end of the session. From that point onward it became the authorised version. The first night was recorded by the BBC and showed up on YouTube about a year ago but was quickly taken down.

Chris
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I guess this is the recording you mean? If so it seems to have reappeared.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQEQNuY6waw

I had a quick listen to the first 15mins or so and greatly enjoyed it, I'll have to find a couple of hours to watch the rest sometime.
blast

Post by blast »

Thanks for finding that ! Over thirty years ago.... wow !
There are quite a few of those players still in the pit in Glasgow. The now retired principal trumpet lives just across the road from me.... and the second horn is still in that seat and looks exactly the same !
It doesn't sound too bad.... but I'm biased.

Chris

Return to “Performance”