Switching Mouthpiece & Leadpipe

Driswood

Switching Mouthpiece & Leadpipe

Post by Driswood »

Was discussing this with a section mate a few days ago. Does anyone switch a mouthpiece/lead pipe combo for different purposes?

Such as a Bach 11C & a tight lead pipe for lead, and a Bach 6.5A and a more open pipe for lower parts, combo work, and concert band. Or an Elliott with one rim, and different cups. On a .500 bore horn.

Ideally, you would use two horns for the different purposes, but if you only have one horn, could this be an option?
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
Mv2541

Re: Switching Mouthpiece & Leadpipe

Post by Mv2541 »

If I changed leadpipes like that I can guarantee more chipped notes. Probably would be too confusing on the face for me.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
brtnats

Re: Switching Mouthpiece & Leadpipe

Post by brtnats »

I do occasionally. On my horn, the 2 included leadpipes respond really differently. If I’m playing a more legit gig under a trumpet player, I’ve put in a more open leadpipe to help diffuse the sound. On the opposite end, playing an acoustic set with a guitar and sax, I put in the open pipe and used a smaller mouthpiece to get more pop with less effort. So yes, occasionally I’ll run into a situation where it’s easier to make a small change. 95% of the time? Same leadpipe and mouthpiece for everything commercial.

Return to “Performance”