Toilet Plunger as Mute

PaulT

Toilet Plunger as Mute

Post by PaulT »

There is a song in one of my books that has a series of notes that have + and 0 marks above them. I'm guessing that means muted bell/open bell for a "wa-wa" effect. (but I don't know) I've been using my hand to cover and uncover the bell. But, I've been wondering if that is what a "plunger mute" is for and I've been thinking it about going to Menards and buying a cheap hard rubber toilet plunger.

Any tips on toilet plunger mutes? Do I cut a hole in the end or leave it solid? Anything else?
CalgaryTbone

Re: Toilet Plunger as Mute

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I find that plungers play a bit better with a small hole drilled in the area where the handle would go. You can always plug that with a finger if you think it's too loud, but usually it is more likely that you will find it to be too quiet (as well as very stuffy and out of tune) when you have the plunger in the closed position.

Jim Scott
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There are more modern plungers that work better as plungers but don't work as mutes. Look for the classic shape.

Some have suggested you cut out the rubber webbing inside the mute (around the edge). I did this, but it didn't make much difference.

Sam Burtis reamed out a couple of finger "dents" in the pylon to make holding it easier. He also drilled out the center and put a coin in the hole. You can adjust the amount of sound attenuation by adjusting the position of the coin. My plungers are not drilled and they work fine for me.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

What Bruce said.

On using the plunger:

Other than finding a plunger that fits your hand, the most important part is the technique. Devote some practice time to finding out the best way to hold the horn with a plunger. Ideally, you want to support the weight of the horn somewhere along the left wrist or heel of the hand, depending on the bell size and horn weight. The balance of the horn will feel different. You want to have as little disturbance in the chops as possible. Avoid placing any weight on the right hand, your slide hand/arm. You still want the slide to move freely. In fact, good slide technique is (I found) one of the keys to effective plunger effects.

Wahs, growls, squeaks, etc., are most effective when the plunger is slightly off-center from the bell opening. The plunger needs to cover most of the bell hole, but not all of it. Use a mirror, or video record yourself.

Experiment, practice, and have fun!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/2 ... ogs003.jpg

This is what most people buy. (You remove the handle...)

Should be about five or six inches diameter for a trombone.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Thanks for the responses!

Tomorrow I hit Menards (it's 11% off week!)
Goodgig

Post by Goodgig »

Try holding the plunger nub (where the stick goes) between your middle and ring fingers. Very secure and controllable for me. I played with a summer stock touring company of Ain't Miss Behavin' years ago. One of the actresses - not a brass player!! - showed me this trick! Strange but true!
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Just don't get one from a yard sale ha ha
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

BflatBass wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:51 am Just don't get one from a yard sale ha ha
Why not? That brown, swirly pattern is interesting. Just don't drink from it :twisted:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

... the most fun is to buy a plunger in the hardware store, take off the stick, give it back to the clerk and saying: I woun't need this - can I have a refound?
dershem

Post by dershem »

marccromme wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:11 am ... the most fun is to buy a plunger in the hardware store, take off the stick, give it back to the clerk and saying: I woun't need this - can I have a refound?
The last time I did that, I got it up to the counter and the clerk, without batting an eye, just looked at it and said "Trombone player, eh?"

Return to “Performance”