I tried it but didn't like
13%
Never interested me
37%

Total votes: 30
WeekendWailer

Bass bone - G-tuning

Post by WeekendWailer »

My current horn has an option to switch between Gb/G tuning. I currently use the Gb but will try out the G and wondered what people's thoughts are. It seems like a lot of people who make the switch are happy with it. I know Denson Paul Pollard uses it and Blair Bollinger has a flat G version of it.
JohnL

Re: Bass bone - G-tuning

Post by JohnL »

Technically flat G. Been using it since the mid-1980's.
Tetraphosphate

Post by Tetraphosphate »

WeekendWailer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:12 pm My current horn has an option to switch between Gb/G tuning. I currently use the Gb but will try out the G and wondered what people's thoughts are. It seems like a lot of people who make the switch are happy with it. I know Denson Paul Pollard uses it and Blair Bollinger has a flat G version of it.
Denson Paul Pollard made a video explaining the G valve - here https://youtu.be/nYlrtuarya0 for anyone interested
-----
Do look at the trombones!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I can't get on board with how far out low C and low B are.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

There's a piece I keep telling myself I should learn that has a fast two-octave Ab arpeggio and with a G trigger I can do it all in 3rd position.

Other than that...? :idk:
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

I just find having g flat turning even without trying g would make more sense to me. Especially with low arpeggios.
BrassedOn

Post by BrassedOn »

Tetraphosphate wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:22 pm
WeekendWailer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:12 pm My current horn has an option to switch between Gb/G tuning. I currently use the Gb but will try out the G and wondered what people's thoughts are. It seems like a lot of people who make the switch are happy with it. I know Denson Paul Pollard uses it and Blair Bollinger has a flat G version of it.
Denson Paul Pollard made a video explaining the G valve - here https://youtu.be/nYlrtuarya0 for anyone interested
I really appreciate Denson Paul Pollard's providing context for his use of the G valve. Good lesson on how to explain something succinctly. And I could clearly see his left hand to monitor his use of the valve. Good on ya!
"Do less, better."
1971 King 3B Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision Bass
2016 Strunal double bass
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:37 pm I can't get on board with how far out low C and low B are.
This always stopped me.

G > Gb

BUT

D >>> Eb (for me, YMMV)

I have always wanted to build a section that slides can swap around to make both valves configurable from G, Gb, F, E, bE to see what would work in practice. The G/bE/D has always intrigued me, but I don't know if that bE valve will be very useful.

Cheers,
Andy
WeekendWailer

Post by WeekendWailer »

Tetraphosphate wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:22 pm Denson Paul Pollard made a video explaining the G valve - here https://youtu.be/nYlrtuarya0 for anyone interested
I watched that video and it is what tempted me to try it out.
Burgerbob wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:37 pm I can't get on board with how far out low C and low B are.
Yeah, I thought is was ok but in the spear motif, you have to go from a low B natural to pedal A. It is a bit of a jump.
elmsandr wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:51 am D >>> Eb (for me, YMMV)
I think I agree with this. The F-attachment provides Eb in 3.5 and you are only going through one valve.

After trying it out for a few days, I have gone back to Gb. I like having the option but I think it isn't for me. I also noticed that I use C in 2nd with the Gb trigger fairly often for A-minor and C-major arpeggio type things.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

WeekendWailer wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:27 pm I also noticed that I use C in 2nd with the Gb trigger fairly often for A-minor and C-major arpeggio type things.
^^^ This! And B in 3rd !

Plus it is nice to have F valve same as a tenor (unless you are using G or Gb tuning on tenor), which means Bb/F/G/Eb, and having C and B too far out on the slide.

And Bb/G/Eb/Db tuning is just too esoteric if one also plays tenor in Bb/F, imho.
JasonDonnelly

Post by JasonDonnelly »

elmsandr wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:51 am
D >>> Eb (for me, YMMV)
Yep. This is the kicker. I love using my Gb valve alone for C, B and low F and Gb sometimes. But the thought of the double-trigger range being even further out is too frightening.

I've thought about doing something crazy, lie Bb/G/D/flat-C-ish.
University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance 21'
Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium 24'

Courtois 551BHRA
Besson Prestige 2052S
Conn 88HSCL
Kuhnl and Hoyer Slokar Alto (Eb/Bb)

Various Greg Black mouthpieces
MoominDave

Post by MoominDave »

I have tubing for my bass that creates a G 2nd valve. It was very useful when I had an old brass band contest piece (Edward Gregson's 'Essay') with exposed glissandi G-Eb, written for the G bass trombone (probably? Gregson was writing in the time period (1970) where G was giving way rapidly to Bb/F).

I also have tubing that creates Bb/F/Ab/E tuning. It was very useful for the B-F# glissando in the Nielsen flute concerto when it came up on the schedule.

Day to day - happy with my usual unusual set-up (second valve long D).
Dave Taylor
(not to be confused with other Dave Taylors...)

Return to “Performance”