Bass trumpet - Maazel "Ring Without Words"

LongmodelF

Bass trumpet - Maazel "Ring Without Words"

Post by LongmodelF »

I have a performance of Maazel's "Ring Without Words" looming and i was wondering if anyone has any experience of the bass trumpet part. I have played "The Ring" and "Ring Adventure" all of which offered parts in C in additional to the traditional parts in C,D,E,Eb making life much easier and straight forward. My question is can anyone confirm what transposition the part comes in and does anyone have a pdf I could get a preliminary look at. Thanks in advance.
LeTromboniste

Re: Bass trumpet - Maazel "Ring Without Words"

Post by LeTromboniste »

Nobody will have a PDF of that, as it's rental material only. If they did, it would most definitely be illegal to distribute. I highly doubt there will be a transposed part, unless Schott has finally gotten around to typesetting it and making an actual edition (and if they haven't, it's outright outrageous given how much they charge for the rental!).

I played that 5 or 6 years ago and the orchestral parts were the biggest mess I've ever seen. The parts consist of a collage of scans of pages from the parts from the operas themselves with some passages added and written in by hand. And stuff crossed out (although inconsistently). Several editions were used to make that collage, so there are parallel sets of rehearsal marks going on within every part, and because all the parts are not built using the same original edition for the same passages, the rehearsal marks and/or bar numbers often dont match between different sections of the orchestra. And those parts are printed on A3 paper, so they are huge and fit in no bag.
Last edited by LeTromboniste on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Also, have fun with the high Gb!
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

When we played here, the bass trumpeter made his own part using his "C" parts to the Ring, doing a cut and paste w/xerox copies.

The parts are a mess on that arrangement as well - you will be grateful to have some legible licks in front of you, never mind avoiding all of the multiple transpositions. If you don't have "C" parts to the entire Ring, I'm pretty sure that you can find them online. I bought a set from a guy in New Zealand who sends them out as a pdf. I would offer to send copies, but he has put a lot of work into making these parts, and deserves to make a few bucks for his efforts.

Jim Scott
LongmodelF

Post by LongmodelF »

CalgaryTbone that was my thought. I have a full set of parts of my own in C. However without access to the part or the score I don't know where to begin to cut/paste. Also I didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done the exercise.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

You might be able to get a head start by getting a hold of the Maazel recording (w/Berlin, I believe). I couldn't start to tell you exactly which excerpts to include, except that I remember that the Ride is not the usual lick(s) that we play on auditions, etc. The excerpt in that arrangement is from another part of the opera, and is shorter and in another key.

Jim
LongmodelF

Post by LongmodelF »

Sorted! Downloaded the Maazel score and cut and pasted part from my C bass trumpet "Ring" sets.using "Paint" software. Took a bit of time but now i have a 16 page bass trumpet part in C. Thanks for all the useful advice.

Return to “Performance”