The Johan Stengård Jazz Big Band

imsevimse

The Johan Stengård Jazz Big Band

Post by imsevimse »

I invite you to hear our band in this youtube video shot by someone in the audience.

We are happy to have finally got our own stage. Check out our band at the Olympiateatern "The Olympia Theater" if you are in Stockholm.

This is "The Johan Stengård Jazz Big Band" in a number that features our talanted drummer Daniel Kåse. I'm on second bone. You get a glimpse of me in the beginning of that clip.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... dTwoWZ7fik

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kingfan

Re: The Johan Stengård Jazz Big Band

Post by Kingfan »

Sounds good!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Thanks.

The drummer is the principal of "The Royal Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra". The band also consists of musicians from "The Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra". The rest of us are freelancers.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Yeah, good band. Kinda weird to see that piece without seeing people cutting a rug to it.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

wwright

Post by wwright »

Sounds good! The video needs to pan over to the trombone section, though :wink:
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

wwright wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:43 am Sounds good! The video needs to pan over to the trombone section, though :wink:

A little video from last monday 8/10 to promote our remaining concerts at "The Olympia Theatre".

Satin Doll and pictures/videos of the band. You get to see our trombone section and the small bore instruments we use. I'm on a "Vocabell" :pant:

imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

This was yesterday's concert. Next Monday will be the last concert before Christmas..This was our sixth concert and our drummer and singer starts to take their chanses with this Sinatra number. "New York New York", the last number in the show. I'm usually on second but this concert I sub on first.

/Tom

Can't load Facebook SDK?
If video does not load below you might have an ad-blocker. If you click on this link you might do better:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =617447082

Video should show here:
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Just found out!

We will do another series of concerts at the Olympia theatre in Stockholm with the Johan Stengård Big Band starting Monday 28/1 and every next Monday, 20 gigs until summer and we have also another 10 gigs coming up at various places in Sweden. It will be a busy spring.

A video from the seventh and last concert we did 29/10.

imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

This monday at the Olympia Theatre we had the pleasure to have monster player Håkan Björkman to sub with our Big Band. Håkan is the principal of the Swedish Radio Orchesta, a great musician and a great guy.

imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Another series of 10 concerts starts 30/9 at The Olympia Theatre with the Johan Stengård Jazz Big Band. I'm on second but the first five concerts I will be on first. We have also upcoming concerts on other arenas booked with the band. I'm looking forward to these gigs. We had one gig in August with the band too. Except this gig at a jazz festival we had nothing, just a long vaccation from playing with the band since June.

/Tom
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

The story continues. We have now had 90 concerts since we started the band 2015. The 91:st time now will be in January when we will be playing at a dance, something we have only done once before. I think it is very unusual in Sweden to be a member of a jazz big band that has exclusively played 90 concerts for a seated audience in 2020. There might be dance bands with more gigs but not with seated audience.

The 10 concerts we did after summer have also been outsold. The band has become known in Stockholm, and now has a good reputation among both amateurs and professionals. We've found an audience and it is thanks to them it is possible to carry on.

The dance we play in January is the final of a day of amusement that starts with a concert with the Royal Philharnonic Orchestra and continues with a nice dinner in the Cocert House and ends with the dance in "Grunewald salen" in the Concert House of Stockholm.

Although we do not rehearse anymore the band becomes better and better, as times flies. The concerts sharpens our minds. It's interesting to have a glimpse of what jazz one was. Naturally we don't know when the story ends. We have planned for another 10 concerts after christmas. I guess we will play as long as there is an audience
Last edited by imsevimse on Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

What a great situation!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Congratulations, Tom.

Merry Christmas. :hi:
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I just played my 106:th concert with the Johan Stengård Big Band. The band has now done 112 concerts since 2015 and I have only missed six of them. Today we had the legendary swedish first trumpeter Jan Kohlin sub on first. He was the most sought after player when I was young. He played with James Last among others. He is one of my raw models. Never misses a note and play very well. He is at his best still at the age of seventy.

This was our final concert before christmas, but we are booked from February to april at the theatre for yet another 10 concerts. To day the house was full. It has been close to full every Monday this latest series of concerts after opening up from Corona.

Next gig is 5/1 2022 at the Concert House in Stockholm. Hope this band can continue for ever.

/Tom
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

The concert 5/1 was cancelled due to Corona unfortunately. We had to close down again all scenes as the year 2022 started. Luckily a month later we now continue at the theatre. We have now done 119 concerts and I have been on most of them (113). We will do another four concerts at "The Olympia Theater" and then the band will play at different scenes close to Stockholm. Luxury!. Just hope the band continues forever..

/Tom
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Some positive news here on our "Basie inspired band". Our concert 30/10 at "The Olympa Theatre" will be the 150:th since we started with the band and my 140:th. Yes, I have missed a few concerts due to different reasons, I've been sick or I have been booked elsewere. The theatre has now been sold and is renamed. The new name is "Uusi Teatteri" which is Finnish? The new owner is from Finland. The theatre has been restored slightly and is now shiny. It has started out well after the take over. The last concerts we've done have been sold out and the next coming concerts are too. The plan was to do five concerts in october before christmas but since the last concerts have been sold out we will do two extra in december

/Tom
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Sold out concerts are always a good sign!
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Return to “Performance”