von Weber Freischütz: Alto or Tenor on first?

MStarke

von Weber Freischütz: Alto or Tenor on first?

Post by MStarke »

Another one of these:

I have just been asked to play with a good (semi-pro?) orchestra in two weeks, potentially on first trombone.

For trombones it's only the Freischütz Overture.
I might have played it before - can't really remember - but if yes, then most certainly on bass.
So I am not totally sure if first trombone should be alto or tenor here. Technically both is totally playable and I also feel quite comfortable on alto at the moment so it really comes down to what's more appropriate?

Some factors:
Second would most likely play large Tenor, third a regular bass. The orchestra is probably on the smaller end. One of two concerts is in a church. I would personally prefer alto just for the fun of it and having the opportunity to play one of my wonderful altos. Some very quick check on YouTube didn't give very clear tendencies.

What would you do?
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
WilliamLang

Re: von Weber Freischütz: Alto or Tenor on first?

Post by WilliamLang »

Ask the conductor/contractor first, and if they left it up to me I'd have fun on alto
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I probably won't have a Chance to ask before the soundcheck as we probably will not do any more rehearsals and can of course bring both...
Markus Starke

Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Given a couple of parameters that you stated (small orchestra and performing in a church), I think alto might work better. If it were a larger orchestra, I would choose tenor.

I have performed Der Freischutz with a small chamber orchestra on alto and a large orchestra on tenor. The trombone section served completely different purposes in those two groups. In the small group, the conductor wanted our sound to be delicate and precise. In the large group, that conductor wanted us to roar! So, actually William’s advice is pretty good.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I agree with the above answers. What feels more comfortable to you, the section and the conductor given the context (orchestra, venue, sound concept and artistic ideas, etc) is what is more appropriate.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I like alto on that overture.

JS
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

By coincidence, I just got asked to play a gig in a few weeks time with the overture from Freischütz and Brahms 1. Seems the Freischütz is popular this year! Unfortunately I’m a bit busy with other things at the moment so had to decline but would otherwise have preferred alto on both pieces.

For your circumstances I can’t add anything to what’s already been said. As long as neither the conductor nor the section mates have a view on it, it would be a nice chance to play alto. If tenor would you take a large bore setup or something a bit lighter?
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Thanks everyone!

I will most likely then just bring the alto. As a side effect, it's very comfortable to only have that small alto gig bag with me.
Markus Starke

stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

I would play this on alto but tonight we start our new season and the programme is Der Freischutz, Smetana's Vltava and Beethoven 7. The trombones will be using JP236 Rath alto, Conn 88H and Yamaha YBL-822 Xeno. I will be standing at the front waving a little white stick. :good: I might even be able to leave the car at home and cycle there-about 3/4 mile or 1 kilometre+ and no hills! :shuffle:

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Just a short follow-up:
Played it on my Kanstul alto (which is a relatively large .500 bore) and MST STUDIO K 11 N (which is close to a Bach 11c). Worked quite well for myself and got some compliments from colleagues and conductor.
I really liked the feeling of just playing comfortably in an easy alto range and within comfortable Volume levels. With a (large) tenor I probably would have had to be much more careful.
Markus Starke

Return to “Performance”