Solo Trombone Recordings (jazz)

EriKon

Solo Trombone Recordings (jazz)

Post by EriKon »

So, I've already asked about trombone recordings at another thread, but this one is more specific.

I'm currently analyzing lots of solo jazz trombone recordings (like really solo, no accompany at all) and I wonder if there are any more recommendations and hints besides of what I'll list you below :) thanks guys!

Solo trombone recordings: (albums)
Albert Mangelsdorff - Trombirds
Albert Mangelsdorff - Tromboneliness
Albert Mangelsdorff - Albert Mangelsdorff Solo
Albert Mangelsdorff - Purity
George Lewis - The Solo Trombone Record
Conny Bauer - Der gelbe Klang
Conny Bauer - Live im Völkerschlachtdenkmal
Conny Bauer - Hummelsummen
Conny Bauer - Konrad Bauer Solo
Conny Bauer - Das flüchtige Glück
Conny Bauer - Toronto Töne
Ed Neumeister - One and Only
Nils Wogram - Bright Lights
Samuel Blaser - 18 Monologue Elastiques
Samuel Blaser - Solo Bone
Günter Christmann - Solo (Solomusiken für Posaune und Kontrabass)
Paul Rutherford - The Gentle Harm of the Bourgeoisie
Paul Rutherford - Solo in Berlin 1975

to be continued...

Are there solo recordings of Vinko Globokar? I know it's not improvised and more classical, but I would be interested in that as well. Thanks again!
Last edited by EriKon on Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
cmcslide

Re: Solo Trombone Recordings (jazz)

Post by cmcslide »

I have a record called “Horns” by Gunter Christmann. Not just one soloist but five, I think, including Christmann and Mangelsdorff on trombones, Manfred Schoof and Kenny Wheeler on trumpets, and Paul Rutherford on euphonium. Starts and ends with collective improv, then each player plays a solo, a true solo like you are talking about. That’s the only example of something like that I can think of, except maybe for a solo cadenza by JJ. Now that I think of it, I heard JJ live in the late 80’s and he played “It’s Alright With Me” by himself and dedicated it to Kai Winding. Don’t know if he ever recorded that? It would be an interesting contrast to the other things that you mentioned!
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

cmcslide wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:54 pm I have a record called “Horns” by Gunter Christmann. Not just one soloist but five, I think, including Christmann and Mangelsdorff on trombones, Manfred Schoof and Kenny Wheeler on trumpets, and Paul Rutherford on euphonium. Starts and ends with collective improv, then each player plays a solo, a true solo like you are talking about. That’s the only example of something like that I can think of, except maybe for a solo cadenza by JJ. Now that I think of it, I heard JJ live in the late 80’s and he played “It’s Alright With Me” by himself and dedicated it to Kai Winding. Don’t know if he ever recorded that? It would be an interesting contrast to the other things that you mentioned!
Oh wow! That sounds like a fun recording to check out, thank you!
Unfortunately nothing found on the JJ solo but sounds like a great memory! Thanks for your input!
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

I've found a few solo tracks of Eje Thelin where he had some solo spots within his Eje Thelin Group and without rhythm section and everything, which are also fun to hear.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Nils Landgren - Nature Boy

Sort of jazz/folk but very beautiful. All in a church.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Slide Hampton - Lament
Bill Pearce - You Needed Me
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

BrianJohnston wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:48 pm Slide Hampton - Lament
Bill Pearce - You Needed Me
Those are all accompanied, right? At least I haven't found them as real solo trombone recordings.
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

I've checked out "Horns" which was recommended above and which is a great recording!

There seem to be solo recordings of Günter Christmann, but they're unfortunately not available over here. I think it's called "Solomusiken für Posaune und Kontrabass".

Then I've made some research on Paul Rutherford and he has released several improvised solo recordings that I've just ordered two albums that I was able to get other here. Will add them to the list above. If anyone still knows something, please add it here :) also still interested in Vinko Globokar stuff if someone is into that and knows something.
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

I don't think it's the recording cmcslide was referring to, but JJ plays a nice unaccompanied version of 'Beautiful Love' on Let's Hang Out, one of his later records from the early 90s.

Marshall Gilkes has a tune, 'Puddle Jumping' which features an extended solo cadenza. Not sure if it's available on an album, but there are several versions on YouTube.

I'm sure I've seem someone else doing lengthy unaccompanied improvisations, but I can't quite remember who right now... Ray Anderson maybe?
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

EriKon wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:50 am

Then I've made some research on Paul Rutherford and he has released several improvised solo recordings that I've just ordered two albums that I was able to get other here. Will add them to the list above. If anyone still knows something, please add it here :) also still interested in Vinko Globokar stuff if someone is into that and knows something.
https://youtu.be/fXkvpkN_a4s this is a great four video set of Globokar doing a solo show. Must've been not long before his stroke. I love Paul Rutherford's stuff- he did some killer sets.

All the George Lewis Voyager stuff is really great too, though the solo trombone record is still my favorite. Here's a very recent version- it's cool how much it's developed! https://youtu.be/ncy4_FHX3Jc

I've got a portion of a class I teach that covers a lot of solo improvisors, though most aren't jazz. I'm away from my computer this week, but can parse through it for relevant links when I get back to LA.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
GGJazz

Post by GGJazz »

Hi EriKon .

Here a J.J. Johnson solo cadenza , from the CD "The Brass Orchestra"

This is another J. J. solo performance ( as indicated above by Soseggnchips ) on Beautiful Love , from the CD "Let' s Hang Out"

This is a Phil Wilson solo performance , from the LP " That's All"

Regards to everyone
Giancarlo
rickfaulknernyc

Post by rickfaulknernyc »

Joe Fiedler has a solo album (The Howland Sessions) coming out later this year:

https://joefiedler.bandcamp.com

Almost qualifying is this J.J. Johnson/Joe Pass track (Pass doesn't play until more than halfway in):

johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Bryan Hooten - Isolation
iranzi

Post by iranzi »

Fantastic thread!
I'd also like to mention some trombone solo albums. Some of them include the use of electronic sound effects or/and overdubbing. In no particular order (in brackets is the year of recording).

Øyvind Brække - Aller Anfang ist schwer (2021)
Francesco Bucci - Zobibor (2023)
Paul Rutherford - Trombolenium: Solos 1986-1995
Sebi Tramontana - Unfolding To Be You (2022)
Walter Wierbos - Wierbos (1982)
Zekkereya El-magharbel - 8 Quranic maqamat organized by size (2023)
Zekkereya El-magharbel - 5 named scenes live from a parallel dimension in which Europe does not exist (2023)
Alan Tomlinson - Still Outside (1980)
Gerhard Gschlößl - Solo1 (2023)
Jacob Garchik - The Heavens: The Atheist Gospel Trombone Album (2012)
Miles Anderson - Garagemusik (1990) unreleased. available on his website trom-bown.com
Henrik Munkeby Nørstebø - Solo (2011)
Henrik Munkeby Nørstebø - Solo Norwich (2023)
Matthias Müller - Solo Trombone (2016)
Matthias Müller - Acud/Bunker (2018/2016)

P.S. It's my first post and I want to say hello to all of you here and to introduce myself. I'm a saxophone player and also been learning/playing trumpet for a few years recently. Started learning trombone and reading Trombone Chat only a month ago and its been great joy! I think i'm going to devote my time solely to the trombone now. Really looking forward to conversing with the great and knowledgeable people here.
iranzi

Post by iranzi »

Would be nice also to compile a list of trombone duos and trios!
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Bruce Fowler - One Man One Bone from Ants Can Count
Ray Anderson - Marching On
Steve Swell – The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Improviser
Kalia Vandever - We Fell In Turn
Andy Clausen is doing one now I believe
Roswell Rudd – The Definitive Roswell Rudd
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Stuart Dempster's solos like In The Great Abbey Of Clement VI sort of fall in the cracks between classical and experimental - not sure how much of those is improvised to be honest.
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Daniel Ivan Bruno
https://www.danielivanbruno.com/alone/

Many many things by Ben Gerstein
http://bengerstein.com/alone.html
iranzi

Post by iranzi »

jacobgarchik wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:43 pm Bruce Fowler - One Man One Bone from Ants Can Count
Ray Anderson - Marching On
Steve Swell – The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Improviser
Kalia Vandever - We Fell In Turn
Andy Clausen is doing one now I believe
Roswell Rudd – The Definitive Roswell Rudd
Wow these are great! The Definitive Roswell Rudd has some of my favourite trombone sounds ever. There's another rare solo trombone track "Four Lessons From The Third World" from the same period on Roswell Rudd & Giorgio Gaslini album Sharing.

Return to “Performance”