Beating the heat

Splendour

Beating the heat

Post by Splendour »

With very hot weather here in the UK and across much of Europe at the moment, I'm wondering what advice can be offered, or tricks people have used to survive playing in high temperatures.

I only made it through my last gig because I took a couple of frozen bottles of water with me in a coolbox and drank them as they melted
robcat2075

Re: Beating the heat

Post by robcat2075 »

I used to be in ensembles that did summer concerts here in Texas. Used to be! Not doing that again!
Splendour wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:38 am With very hot weather here in the UK and across much of Europe at the moment, I'm wondering what advice can be offered, or tricks people have used to survive playing in high temperatures.
Wear white. Wear shorts. Don't perform in direct sunlight. Keep the sets brief-ish.

And... shave off the beard. The more skin you can expose to rapid evaporation, the better. I felt a bit breezier just for shaving off my arm and leg hair.

You pretty much have to not care that you are sweating. The bald guys and crew cuts and jar heads can throw cold water on their head and still look fine.

Yesterday's temp in Dallas. Today is supposed to get higher. It's not unknown to hit these temps here, but it didn't happen so soon before. We were going over 100°F even in June! Is this how it's all going to end?

108.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Not to toot my own horn, but I just made a video about this exact thing. I have too much experience with it!

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have friends who have battery operated fans that clip to the music stand and blow air at you. If you are sweating, that can help cool you down.

I try to play in the shade when possible.

Keep your car as cool as possible. Crack the windows open when you park. Not playing related, but important so you don't faint one the way home because the car got to be an oven while you parked it. Incidentally, don't leave pets or babies inside closed cars while you go shopping. The car can achieve deadly temperatures in a matter of 10 minutes.

At home: You can wet down a T-shirt and wear it to cool down. There even used to be a health movement where you wore wet clothes. And they did it in winter :???:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Light, breathable, natural fabrics for clothes. Recently got a black linen suit specifically to wear for warm concerts May to September. Jacket back is unlined, front lined with more linen, no polyester. Makes a huge difference.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Linen +1

You will look like a disheveled, wrinkled hobo by the end of the concert, but that is better than looking like a sweaty mess. After a while, wrinkled linen starts to have it's own charm.

I also have a 50/50 linen polyester shirt that is almost as cool as full linen, but doesn't wrinkle.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Having lived in North Africa and survived marching band in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which may have been hotter, the only thing not mentioned is: If the horizon starts spinning or you see a grey periscope, drop to your knees and set the horn down. Don’t fall backwards, though you most probably won’t, and don’t fall on the horn. It isn’t healthy for you and it doesn’t do the horn any good. The time between perception of a problem and passing out is really short. Don’t be a hero.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Performance”