Gig/rehearsal scheduling

hyperbolica

Gig/rehearsal scheduling

Post by hyperbolica »

One of the most difficult things about starting and keeping a group going is scheduling. Do any of you use special scheduling tools, either software or online that seem to work at getting people to agree on a time slot without a lot of round Robin emails, texts and phone calls?
BGuttman

Re: Gig/rehearsal scheduling

Post by BGuttman »

You need to do the negotiating at the beginning. Once you have established a group with a common time to rehearse, then you try to minimize the number of times you have to cancel/reschedule. If you are constantly trying to reschedule, maybe this group won't work.

My best successes were small groups of people from the same organization. In some cases we'd meet either before or after the large group rehearsal so everybody was already going to be there. If you get the group going and need more than a stolen half hour before or after rehearsal, the group may be willing to adjust their schedules to find a common time.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

We are just starting, but the variables keep changing, and we've been through the process a few times. We've only had a single rehearsal. Just looking for how people get over the hump.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

We use this. Different ways to operate it. We ask people to show non-availability and work around that.
https://band.us/en
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I've used doodle in the past, but when I'm putting something together I just go the email route and keep a separate word document on my desktop with availability for said rehearsal.

It sounds like you're trying to have recurring rehearsal so I imagine emails would be too much to manage.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Conn100HGuy

Post by Conn100HGuy »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:34 pm You need to do the negotiating at the beginning. Once you have established a group with a common time to rehearse, then you try to minimize the number of times you have to cancel/reschedule. If you are constantly trying to reschedule, maybe this group won't work.
Amen! I've been managing an 18-piece big band for 7 years with great success. We have a regular, accepted rehearsal schedule (every Thursday from 7:30-9:30). Furthermore, it is the responsibility of each member to let me know well in advance if he or she will miss a rehearsal or gig.

I send a group email 2 days before each rehearsal or gig with the game plan, updated lineup, subs, etc. It goes to regulars and subs so that everyone has a chance to spot errors or omissions and let me know ASAP.

I expect (and get) acknowledgement of these emails. Nothing fancy, just hit reply. My tracking system tells me who the subs are and who has (or has not) replied to a reminder. It takes work, but it's not as tedious as scrambling to fill chairs at the last minute.
Onward and Upward
Glennlewis

Post by Glennlewis »

I co-manage an 18 piece big band with a lot of subs coming and going. We use bandmule. It’s free and although it has glitches it meets all our requirements.

Gig and rehearsal scheduling
Availability
Set lists
And a chat feature.

Web application in browser
Android
IOS

Return to “Performance”