Hernia Surgery Recovery

wetrb

Hernia Surgery Recovery

Post by wetrb »

For those of you that have had surgery to repair a hernia, did you have to lay off the horn for awhile or were you able to play soon afterwards. I have a procedure coming up soon and have gigs a few days after and I am wondering if I will be able to handle them or should consider getting a sub.
Doug Elliott

Re: Hernia Surgery Recovery

Post by Doug Elliott »

I haven't had it it but I definitely wouldn't plan on playing gigs for at least 2-3 weeks. I'm sure your surgeon would agree but you should ask.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Extra (non-physician) advice can be helpful. Not many doctors are very familiar with the full range of stresses on the body (abdominal muscles, fingers, wrists, arms, shoulders, legs, lips, teeth, lungs, ...) of playing various musical instruments - including trombones. :idk:

Physical therapists and musicians who have experienced various afflictions and procedures often know much more about the consequences and recovery from them than do their physicians.
wetrb

Post by wetrb »

I did ask the surgeon about restrictions including playing, and all that he mentioned was a weight restriction. I posted here with hopes of getting some advise from people with first hand experience.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I took a month off from my orchestra after mine - I ended up coming back a little early, but I would plan on at least 2 weeks. Recovery might be quicker if you have the less invasive surgery procedures, but if you need stitches, they need too heal.

I was able to start playing a bit at home after about 10 days - 2 weeks. Lots of playing in short increments and then resting. Stay away from loud and high for a while.

Jim Scott
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have a hernia (umbilical) but have not had surgery to repair it.

If they do laparoscopic surgery you may not have a large area to be affected by the internal pressure of playing.

Still, I'd give it a good month to heal.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

I have had my share and then some of very painful surgeries! And I have always been surprised at the aggressive & rigorous PT they gave me very soon after coming out of the recovery room. I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't want to and probably shouldn't endure any more on my own at home than what they put me though in PT. That reminds me of the old joke. "Doc, it hurts when I do that". "Then don't do that".
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

I had an inguinal hernia repair a few years back and yes, I had to take time off playing. From memory, I think I was advised not to play trombone or do any heavy lifting for six weeks following the surgery.

I was in no shape to play for at least a month afterwards. For the first couple of weeks even simple stuff like standing up and sitting down was difficult and painful. Definitely get a sub for your gigs, and if possible try to arrange to have someone around for a week or so who can help you with the basics at home.

Having said all that, the surgery was definitely worth it and I regret leaving it as long as I did. It got to the point where there was a definite bulge visible externally and it was sometimes very painful after eating. I had the keyhole surgery 8 years ago and I've had no problems since.
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

I had inguinal hernia surgery about 10 years ago, and had at least a month off, maybe more, but the op had not gone well and needed opening up.
It depends on the surgery, with keyhole surgery you may get a quick recovery. Don't push it too fast, and listen to your body, and of course ask your medical advisor.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

My father had the op (twice with a few years in between) he was told to take 6 weeks off of playing - he didnt but he should have! This was a while back and it was the invasive type with stitches and abdominal wall cuts probably much quicker recovery period with the laparoscopic surgery... Doug
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I had the surgery about 3 years ago. Surgeon was a former trumpet player. He had me take off about 5 weeks, then play for about 45 minutes a day, divided into three 15 minute sets the 6th week. After that, good to go. Nothing loud or upper register.

Fridge
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I would think the breathing for the trombone is the least of it.

It's the other stuff you have to do for gigs like lift and carry the trombone case, get in and out of cars, climb stairs, move chairs and stands around...
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
gregsundt

Post by gregsundt »

6 weeks, and worked back into playing gradually.
wetrb

Post by wetrb »

Update: Open Inguinal Hernia Repair surgery was on Mar. 23. Started mouthpiece buzzing a week later and moved to the horn after two weeks. Had my first gig last evening,(25 days post surgery), a two hour dance combo job. A little stiffness from sitting on a stool but stood and stretched frequently. Felt fine post gig and morning after. Chops were a bit fatigued and I did beg off on a waltz medley which hangs in the upper range. Also, I was a bit surprised to be a bit sore from the breathing and blowing. I did turn down Easter Morning Church services for today since I wasn't sure I would be able to cover that much playing in one weekend. Happy to be back at it.

Return to “Performance”