Suggestions for Organ + Trumpet + Trombone

MrHCinDE

Suggestions for Organ + Trumpet + Trombone

Post by MrHCinDE »

Any suggestion for music suitable for organ, trumpet and trombone? It’d be for Easter in a church service but doesn’t have to be specific to Easter.
heldenbone

Re: Suggestions for Organ + Trumpet + Trombone

Post by heldenbone »

There are a couple of Renaissance fantasias written by John Hingeston, published by Musica Rara that would be nice. The instrumentation was originally labelled as "cornett & sacbutt" with organ continuo. The published edition includes a decent continuo realization along with modern notation for trumpet and [bass] trombone.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Thanks for the idea, will keep that in mind for the future.

This time it looks like we’ll be going with an arrangement of the Telemann Concerto in F Minor. From what I can tell the trumpet plays the solo line (which may have been originally written for oboe) and the trombone has the notated bass line. The organ must somehow cover everything else.

I’m having a think about the best way to play the semis in the 3rd movement. Might be a bit quick for single tongue (for me at least!) but I probably don’t want to be cracking it out with a tu-ku either. I’m thinking da-ga might be the way to go. Whichever way, it’ll need a bit of practice as my double tonguing is a bit underused these days and there are a some relatively wide interval jumps between the pairs of semis.
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

Ugh. Sorry. For the future, you might also consider the two sonatas by G.B. Viviani (also Musica Rara). The Viviani pieces are published with 'cello parts for the continuo part, but are not unreasonable on trombone, and are among the few pieces originally intended for trumpet with organ. Ed Tarr has recorded them on Nonesuch.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Thanks, will look at those also.

Might be on hold now anyway, the organist has decided that it’s not ‘eastery’ enough, especially as it’s in a minor key????? That’s a new me one on me! Apparently she likes the piece and wants to play it another time so it isn’t even just a case of looking for an excuse!

Return to “Performance”