Jorgen van Rijen on Three Muses in Video Game

BGuttman

Jorgen van Rijen on Three Muses in Video Game

Post by BGuttman »

It's in Dutch, but Jorgen van Rijen describes his approach to a new piece by Tan Dun called "Three Muses in Video Game". Some major effects playing.

Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Re: Jorgen van Rijen on Three Muses in Video Game

Post by harrisonreed »

He is great. Remarkable that he keeps up with a solo career while holding down his position with that orchestra.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:24 pm He is great. Remarkable that he keeps up with a solo career while holding down his position with that orchestra.
Due to his "solo trombone" position, he probably doesn't have to be there all that often. Bart seems to play principal a healthy amount of the time.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

It would have been great if Jorgen had joined the LA Philharmonic. But we're lucky to have David Rejano - another fine trombonist! :good:
Ted

Post by Ted »

you can add the subtitles on the link, the right lower corner.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:31 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:24 pm He is great. Remarkable that he keeps up with a solo career while holding down his position with that orchestra.
Due to his "solo trombone" position, he probably doesn't have to be there all that often. Bart seems to play principal a healthy amount of the time.
Last I heard they're both principal. 5 full time players in the section, plus those orchestras typically have a somewhat less busy season compared to major North American symphonies to start with, so yeah, that leaves more time for other projects.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

LeTromboniste wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:42 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:31 pm

Last I heard they're both principal. 5 full time players in the section, plus those orchestras typically have a somewhat less busy season compared to major North American symphonies to start with, so yeah, that leaves more time for other projects.
Principal in different ways, though, right?

Solo trombone
Principal
2nd trombone
Wechselposaune
Bass trombone
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

The terminology can be different in different orchestras, particularly between N. America and Europe. The "Principal" position in this case might be more like what is normally called "Associate Principal" on this side of the Atlantic. To confuse matters, there are a couple of US Orchestras that have a Principal and a Co-Principal, and some others have an Assistant Principal, and others have a Utility player. There are subtle differences in all of these titles, but what it means exactly is really up to the particular orchestra. Sometimes, the more prestigious sounding titles do reflect more responsibilities assigned to that player, and perhaps a better salary.

Jim Scott
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm
LeTromboniste wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:42 pm

Solo trombone
Principal
2nd trombone
Wechselposaune
Bass trombone
I may totally be wrong but I thought they both have the title "aanvoerder" (which literally means leader, but is the equivalent of principal). The second is only "trombone" (no title), and then they have tenor/bass (which they would call Wechselposaune in Germany) and bass.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

LeTromboniste wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:54 am
Burgerbob wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm

Solo trombone
Principal
2nd trombone
Wechselposaune
Bass trombone
I may totally be wrong but I thought they both have the title "aanvoerder" (which literally means leader, but is the equivalent of principal). The second is only "trombone" (no title), and then they have tenor/bass (which they would call Wechselposaune in Germany) and bass.
You might be right, I really thought Jorgen was solo trombone though.

Return to “Performance”