2021 Trombone Chat Christmas Ensemble

bwanamfupi

2021 Trombone Chat Christmas Ensemble

Post by bwanamfupi »

One of the threads from last year's effort saw some renewed interest in the last couple days. Consensus is there is interest in doing a video this year that is set for multiple skill levels and recording abilities. The round 2 effort for 2020 used an arrangement of Carol of the Bells and We Wish you a Merry Christmas from Cherry Classics. Link to Christmas trombone ensemble stuff is here: https://cherryclassics.com/collections/ ... mas-easter. I'm sure others have suggestions for sources as well. Here's how 2020 round 2 turned out.

I'd love to participate as an amateur hobbyist (definitely not A-list skill level). I know my way around Movavi video editor reasonably well. Mike Miller did a good job last year, and Superbone has also offered.

Cheers,
Shawn (Indianapolis)
robcat2075

Re: 2021 Trombone Chat Christmas Ensemble

Post by robcat2075 »

I'd be interested in playing a line, since hats are allowed.

My repertoire suggestion is... some piece that is technically less frantic.

I recall "In Dulci Jubilo" on the old Eastman trombone Choir album. Maybe something like that is available.

Slow and steady wins the race.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

I'm happy to do any of the roles needed to get the video done.
I have a bunch of Christmas arrangements I can adapt for bones, or can do one from scratch, including a transcription.
I'm used to editing and mixing recordings with different quality (some of my group videos are just phone videos)
Happy to just do the video as well, it's a time consuming affair if you're not used to it so I can probably turn it around in a couple of days.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

If you can put up an arrangement here and do the video, I would love to do the click track and audio editing. Hopefully we get some more interest here.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I am very interested if the arrangement is not too difficult. Let’s settle on an arrangement ASAP. I can drag in at least one other player also. We are both amateur players.
Steve
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Count me in to play a part, don't really mind which, would be good to decide on the piece in the next week or so to give plenty of time for the click track, recordings and editing.
Last edited by MrHCinDE on Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

I'd love to play if this happens. KISS is my motto too... Keep it simple
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Trav1s wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:44 am I'd love to play if this happens. KISS is my motto too... Keep it simple
KISS is my motto as well... Rock and Roll All Night and Party Every Day.

Wait, not it.

Detroit Rock City?

Closer.

Back on topic... I may be able to record a version, though quality will likely be poor and just a phone recording.

Cheers,
Andy
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

How about something fun like Feliz Navidad, Winter Wonderland or Mary's Boy Child? I recorded all of them out of the American Salvo carol books last year and they were enjoyable to play and interesting to listen to. I could whip up an arrangement specially for the video.
Or if people want to do something slow, we can do Somewhere In My Memory (Home Alone), Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas or Grown-Up Christmas List.

For all those wondering if a phone would be enough to record with - yes, it will be fine as long as you don't play too loudly close to the phone - it distorts the sound and makes it impossible to use. All you need is some earphones so we only get your trombone audio, and not the guide track you'll be playing along to.
glenp

Post by glenp »

I’ll record a part as well. Had a lot of fun with it last year; so I’m looking forward to it.
afugate

Post by afugate »

I'm interested in participating.
--Andy in OKC
nogginbone

Post by nogginbone »

I'd be up for giving it another go as long as it's easier than round 1 last year. I've not got that much better in the last year.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

And another idea... shorter.

3+ minutes is likely exceeding the attention span of the various civilian friends and relatives we might share the completed video with.

I suspect two one-minute pieces are more likely to get watched, especially if not sent at the same time.

Briefer pieces are also easier get a good take when recording.
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

Mary's Boy Child is relatively uncommon in the US. I'd vote for that one or Feliz Navidad as fun catchy tunes to play. Having spent half my life living on the equator, wonderland and winter are not words I willingly put together.

I was not familiar with Grown-up Christmas List. I just watched a David Foster / Natalie Cole version on YouTube. Good song for a pandemic, and I bet would sound great on trombones. Might not keep attention of listeners, though, to Rob's point.
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

sacfxdx wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:51 am I am very interested if the arrangement is not too difficult. Let’s settle on an arrangement ASAP. I can drag in at least one other player also. We are both amateur players.
Sure... I'm in
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I did all the editing last year and am perfectly happy to do it again, but if Harrison wants to have all the fun this time around, I am happy to just play. Or if he wants to do the audio, I can do the video. I have actually learned a lot about video editing since last year and have become reasonably competent with Davinci Resolve. I don't think 3 minutes is too long.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I'd love to take a crack at the audio editing and creating the initial clicks for us to use. Video .... No thank you.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

So all we need to do is pick a tune. I would love to see something with at least 8 parts. Let me look around.
Slydeguy

Post by Slydeguy »

I’d love to participate on either tenor or bass trombone.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Gordon Cherry has this 8 part arrangement of the Hallelujah Chorus if y'all want to do something a bit challenging (at least in the high and low parts). It goes to a D in the 1st part and the bass parts go pretty low.

I am also waiting on Patrick Sullivan (the guy that arranged the Armed Forces thing) to see it he has anything.

https://cherryclassics.com/products/han ... a94d&_ss=r

There seem to be tons of tunes out there for quartet, but not as much for a larger ensemble.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I just looked through IMSLP and there is nothing. I don't want anyone to have to pay money for an arrangement, especially of PD music. Hmmmmm

Hallelujah is for Easter, I thought.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:34 pm ...
Hallelujah is for Easter, I thought.
The Hallelujah Chorus is part of the Easter section of Handel's Messiah, but it is frequently performed for Christmas. if you want to make an 8 voice version, have at it. You have 4 solo lines and however many accompaniment lines you want (but at least 4, it seems).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I am no expert, but the Messiah seems to be performed at Christmas more than Easter. As far as paying for it, if 6 guys chip in $5 each, it's covered, so no big deal. It's like a gallon and a half of gas or one of those large coffees at Starbucks that I don't drink.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Would any of the Tommy Pedersen Christmas carol arrangements be worth a look?

Here's a playlist of the originals:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... KQQWsby5M

I bought the score of the slightly simplified quintet version here:
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/te ... c/20126850
(Parts available also)

What could work is either to have multiple people on each part from the quintet arranangements, or, for someone skilled in transcription to write out the slighly more adventerous parts from the original to layer on top of the quintet ones. Generally, what I mean here are the fanfares in last verses and expanded harmonies. There are some additional bridge sections etc. which I wouldn't bother writing in personally.

Each player could buy their part individually for $6.50, digital download is also possible for those concerned about shipping times.

FWIW, my personal favourites are:
We three kings (Fanfares in last verse not in quintet score)
It came upon a mignight clear (Into not in quintet score)
God rest ye merry gentlemen (Fanfares in last verse not in quintet score)

In my opinion, all could work out-of-the-box or with the additions I mentioned above. One thing I don't know is the copyright situation is and whether you have to get approval from the publisher, especically if adding additional parts.
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

We have plenty of arrangers offering their services here, no need to be paying for the music.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Cherry also has this 8 part version of Silent Night for $20.

https://cherryclassics.com/products/244 ... a94d&_ss=r

And Patrick Sullivan sent me a 5 part version of Up on the Housetop.

I think the 8 part piece would be better as we would not have as much doubling of parts.

As far as paying for arrangements, I would rather pay for a known good arrangement than take a chance and end up in the same pickle we did last year having to change at the last minute.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:12 am Cherry also has this 8 part version of Silent Night for $20.

https://cherryclassics.com/products/244 ... a94d&_ss=r

And Patrick Sullivan sent me a 5 part version of Up on the Housetop.

I think the 8 part piece would be better as we would not have as much doubling of parts.

As far as paying for arrangements, I would rather pay for a known good arrangement than take a chance and end up in the same pickle we did last year having to change at the last minute.
Nice, I'd be happy to play that. Might pass on the solo line though... (not sure I can even count that many lines)

How about this?
Set a date, say 21st November, by which all suggestions should be proposed. All proposals shall be either include a link to a commercially-available arrangement or the draft version of a score of someone's own arrangment. Once all entries are submitted, make a sheet on GoogleSheets where people can fill in their names to express interest in the project and rank the suggestions. Give that a few days to run, collate the results and by the middle to end of next week we could have a definite idea of what the consensus would like to play. It does mean that people could go to the trouble of arranging something which may not be used this time around but it does give people a chance to be open to new arrangements with some visibiltiy of what will come, or fall back on a proven one.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

michaelpilley wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:37 am We have plenty of arrangers offering their services here, no need to be paying for the music.
Reference last year. Avoiding that would surely be worth a couple bucks.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Who is in charge of this?

A "Producer" should be chosen. Probably someone who will be collecting the files and doing the editing.

He could set a "budget" for duration or any other troublesome parameter, decree that the options have to fit within those limits, and be the final say on what gets used and when it has to be done.
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

robcat2075 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:33 am Who is in charge of this?

A "Producer" should be chosen. Probably someone who will be collecting the files and doing the editing.

He could set a "budget" for duration or any other troublesome parameter, decree that the options have to fit within those limits, and be the final say on what gets used and when it has to be done.
I did it last year, but I am happy to let someone else handle it it this time around. I believe Harrison has expressed interest in doing the audio portion. If no one else wants the glory of doing the video, I can handle that. I have actually become almost competent with Davinci Resolve recently and my new M1 Mac Mini handles video way better than my old PC.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

MrHCinDE wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:09 am Would any of the Tommy Pedersen Christmas carol arrangements be worth a look?

Here's a playlist of the originals:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... KQQWsby5M

I bought the score of the slightly simplified quintet version here:
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/te ... c/20126850
(Parts available also)

What could work is either to have multiple people on each part from the quintet arranangements, or, for someone skilled in transcription to write out the slighly more adventerous parts from the original to layer on top of the quintet ones. Generally, what I mean here are the fanfares in last verses and expanded harmonies. There are some additional bridge sections etc. which I wouldn't bother writing in personally.

Each player could buy their part individually for $6.50, digital download is also possible for those concerned about shipping times.

FWIW, my personal favourites are:
We three kings (Fanfares in last verse not in quintet score)
It came upon a mignight clear (Into not in quintet score)
God rest ye merry gentlemen (Fanfares in last verse not in quintet score)

In my opinion, all could work out-of-the-box or with the additions I mentioned above. One thing I don't know is the copyright situation is and whether you have to get approval from the publisher, especically if adding additional parts.
I had never heard those before. Fantastic! Any idea how many parts they are using? Are the full arrangements available or just the 5 part?
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

One of my favourite Christmas albums/playlists.

I only found the 5 part score, sounds like at least double that on the recording. I never found the originals but perhaps someone on the forum either played on the recording or has some connections?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I just got my schedule for now until Christmas ... It's not looking to good for me to have any spare time. I really wanted to test my new software out but I think it's best if I just am up front about it now that I know.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Well if Harrison is out, I will volunteer to do it again unless someone else is itching for all the glory. Before we decide on a tune, let's at least get an idea of how many people want to play. If you want to play, please respond to this post and let us know if you want to play tenor or bass (or possibly alto). If tenor, tell us your highest comfortable range (not the highest note you can squeak out). I would like to cap it at 12 tenors and 4 basses. More than that gets hard to work with. Also, give us your real name.

If we can get 8 or more, we can do one of the 8 part tunes. If less, we should stick with 5-6 parts.

I'll start - Mike Miller - Tenor - High D on a good day.
glenp

Post by glenp »

I’ll play tenor. Comfortable range up to high C, in the treble staff (is that C5?).
tmarco97

Post by tmarco97 »

I would be interested in playing bass!
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Richard Hibberts-Caswell - Tenor - Up to high Db (you know, the Bolero one)

Would be happy to play alto (comfortable up to F) or, with a bit of notice, bass (down to about pedal F).
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:58 pm Well if Harrison is out, I will volunteer to do it again unless someone else is itching for all the glory. Before we decide on a tune, let's at least get an idea of how many people want to play. If you want to play, please respond to this post and let us know if you want to play tenor or bass (or possibly alto). If tenor, tell us your highest comfortable range (not the highest note you can squeak out). I would like to cap it at 12 tenors and 4 basses. More than that gets hard to work with. Also, give us your real name.

If we can get 8 or more, we can do one of the 8 part tunes. If less, we should stick with 5-6 parts.

I'm happy to do either audio or video if it helps.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I would like to try Bass - down to Ab1.
Steve
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

I'll play tenor or would love to try alto. Comfortable to high C (D or E since it isn't a live performance...lol)
Last edited by jbeatenbough on Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

Tenor:
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:

Trumpet:
King 600-Bach 7C
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I'll play tenor. Up to about D. Or a high bass part if needed.
Matt
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

michaelpilley wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:24 am
Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:58 pm Well if Harrison is out, I will volunteer to do it again unless someone else is itching for all the glory. Before we decide on a tune, let's at least get an idea of how many people want to play. If you want to play, please respond to this post and let us know if you want to play tenor or bass (or possibly alto). If tenor, tell us your highest comfortable range (not the highest note you can squeak out). I would like to cap it at 12 tenors and 4 basses. More than that gets hard to work with. Also, give us your real name.

I'm happy to do either audio or video if it helps.
Michael - shoot me an email mikebmiller at gmail.com. Let's talk about this.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

We have 7 players expressing interest so far. Please sign up by Thanksgiving if you want to play and then we can decide on a tune.
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

If you want to play, be sure to post if you are not in the below list. (there are many more that have commented in here, which means you probably DO want to participate)

Glenp tenor to C
Hyperbolica tenor to D
JBeatenbough tenor to D (or Alto to F)
Mikebmiller
MrHCinDE alto to F
sacfxdx Bass
Slydeguy tenor or bass
Tmarco97 bass
Last edited by jbeatenbough on Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

Tenor:
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:

Trumpet:
King 600-Bach 7C
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Looks like interest is a bit down from last time, which is understandable given that people have actual gigs to play this year. I think I will open this up to my FB brass recording group and see if we can get a few more players.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 am Looks like interest is a bit down from last time, which is understandable given that people have actual gigs to play this year. I think I will open this up to my FB brass recording group and see if we can get a few more players.
Your specific sign-up request, instead of buried in middle of an existing thread, really needs to be in a thread of its own with an obvious title (Ex: "2021 Christmas Ens. Sign-up HERE") and then somehow pinned and plugged every day.

There were 11 people at the top who said they were interested. How many caught that they have to be interested all over again to be in? Less than 11, apparently.

A sure sign that people aren't paying close attention is that only one person who answered your new request followed the directions. :D
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

jbeatenbough wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:32 am If you want to play, be sure to post if you are not in the below list. (there are many more that have commented in here, which means you probably DO want to participate)

MrHCinDE alto to F
I think perhaps my expression of interest was a bit unclear, I meant it to be understood that tenor up to Db was my default instrument. Tenor is definitely my main instrument and the alto and bass I mentioned are in case we don’t get enough specialist alto or bass players.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Well I got 8 people signed up in next to no time on the FB group. If you are not a member of that group, I would like to invite you to join here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1813011925524532

So that is about 15. At this point we don't need many more. I think 20 would about max out my computer on the video editing.

Please sign up officially here on this Google Sheet. Indicate name, email, and preferred part. I don't know exactly how many parts there will be, so just give me an estimate.

robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

You said we had until thanksgiving to sign up and now it's too late!
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

I don't think we should cap the numbers, I can work with any number of recordings for the audio.

Return to “Performance”