My first experience of making score

DominicaSanchez

My first experience of making score

Post by DominicaSanchez »

Hello! :hi:
I'm anew one here and I'm a student who tries to make scores on music (just started learning how to do it) and this is my first time- https://musescore.com/user/40148473/scores/7039632. I'm specializing in playing on violin and trombone but in this score I'm using piano sounds instead of trombone (cause don't have enough skills for that). Waiting for your feedback about correctivity and etc. :trebleclef: :ugeek:
bwanamfupi

Re: My first experience of making score

Post by bwanamfupi »

This is a good first start. I've found that Musescore is quite easy to learn. I think you will be able to build your skills quite quickly. It is quite straightforward to add instruments once you have a score. Edit - Instruments - Brass - Trombone - Add to score. Musescore will play a digital sound that is trombone-ish. If you add the part to this score, then select the violin part, copy, paste to the trombone part, and transpose down however many octaves you need to (Tools - Transpose - By Interval - Octave).

Regarding this particular arrangement, and speaking as a mandolinist, some spots could be tricky. The double-stop octaves in measure 8 and 12 are played on the G and A strings, right? So the D string is in between. That would be hard on mandolin without adding a note to the chord or else muting the D string. You have to jump strings again at measure 41 when you go from the C-sharp to the G-sharp and F-sharp. Perhaps it's not an issue with violin. It might not be an issue with mandolin either. I spend most of my mandolin time in folk music. Someone who is more familiar with classical mandolin might not find this so challenging.

The image for your trombone lesson has valves and looks suspiciously like a trumpet. You might want to see if you can find or create one that is more like a slide trombone.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

On orchestral strings you can't "skip" a string in double stops. The two notes must be played on adjacent strings.

Also note that double stops are really difficult to pull off on trombone (it's a special technique where you simultaneously play a note and sing a different note into the trombone). Not many of us can do it (I can't).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
DominicaSanchez

Post by DominicaSanchez »

bwanamfupi wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:06 pm This is a good first start. I've found that Musescore is quite easy to learn. I think you will be able to build your skills quite quickly. It is quite straightforward to add instruments once you have a score. Edit - Instruments - Brass - Trombone - Add to score. Musescore will play a digital sound that is trombone-ish. If you add the part to this score, then select the violin part, copy, paste to the trombone part, and transpose down however many octaves you need to (Tools - Transpose - By Interval - Octave).

Regarding this particular arrangement, and speaking as a mandolinist, some spots could be tricky. The double-stop octaves in measure 8 and 12 are played on the G and A strings, right? So the D string is in between. That would be hard on mandolin without adding a note to the chord or else muting the D string. You have to jump strings again at measure 41 when you go from the C-sharp to the G-sharp and F-sharp. Perhaps it's not an issue with violin. It might not be an issue with mandolin either. I spend most of my mandolin time in folk music. Someone who is more familiar with classical mandolin might not find this so challenging.

The image for your trombone lesson has valves and looks suspiciously like a trumpet. You might want to see if you can find or create one that is more like a slide trombone.
Thank you! I'll do my best to grow up in this! Hopefully it will take a long time!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

DominicaSanchez wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:38 am

Thank you! I'll do my best to grow up in this! Hopefully it will take a long time!
Actually, I hope you "grow up" in a short time and keep at it for a long time. Arranging and composing are lifelong pursuits.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Performance”