C Bass Trumpet Ring Cycle Part

bassbone

C Bass Trumpet Ring Cycle Part

Post by bassbone »

Hi All-

Denson Paul Pollard has a youtube video up where he goes through playing every note from the bass trumpet part of Rheingold. (

In this, he mentioned a C Bass Trumpet part written out by Roger Smith that he was using. In the video, it looks like the part is for the whole cycle, not just Rheingold. I have normal Eb/D parts, but does anyone have this Roger Smith part as a PDF they would be willing to share?
Kdanielsen

Re: C Bass Trumpet Ring Cycle Part

Post by Kdanielsen »

Ive always wanted this too
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

I've got one done by someone in Germany, but you'd have to buy it from them, the edition is copyright. I know David Miller of Sterling Music Publications has also done one, but his is in tenor clef which I think is a disadvantage.
bassbone

Post by bassbone »

Do you have a link to where the German edition can be purchased if anyone is interested?

Certainly not wanting to break copyright laws. Just figured the handwritten version by Roger Smith done 50+years ago of a 150 year old opera would be public domain at this point.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I picked up a complete "C" bass trumpet "Ring" part from someone in New Zealand who was selling it (I think) on the old Forum. It was done in Finale or Sibelius, and was sent as a PDF that you could print at home. It was a while ago, so I don't have any contact info, but some time on Google might lead you to the person who sells this.

The Roger Smith hand copied version was floating around NY when I was a student there. Except for the historical nature of that version, I wouldn't recommend it from the standpoint of the quality of the parts. I remember the part being legible, but not professionally copied, and anything out there is at least a 10th generation xerox. Better off to use a version done on a computer program.

Jim Scott
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

Code: Select all

https://imslp.org/wiki/Die_Walk%C3%BCre%2C_WWV_86B_(Wagner%2C_Richard)
Unfortunately not the full Ring, but one of the C parts is on IMSLP in quite a nice scan. Looks like the rest are just good scans of the originals.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

bassbone wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:50 am Do you have a link to where the German edition can be purchased if anyone is interested?
I have to find it in my music. Once I've got the name off it I should be able to figure out where it's for sale.
bassbone

Post by bassbone »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:09 am
The Roger Smith hand copied version was floating around NY when I was a student there. Except for the historical nature of that version, I wouldn't recommend it from the standpoint of the quality of the parts. I remember the part being legible, but not professionally copied, and anything out there is at least a 10th generation xerox. Better off to use a version done on a computer program.

Jim Scott
thanks. not interested in the historical aspect of the Roger Smith part, just prefer not to figure out Eb/D transpositions while also figuring out how to play bass trumpet :)
sf105

Post by sf105 »

bassbone wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:46 pm thanks. not interested in the historical aspect of the Roger Smith part, just prefer not to figure out Eb/D transpositions while also figuring out how to play bass trumpet :)
It takes a little while, but there aren't really that many different things to play. It's much of the same material over and over (and over) again.

S

Return to “Performance”