Tell me about Ragtime - The Musical

LeoInFL

Tell me about Ragtime - The Musical

Post by LeoInFL »

The performing arts organization I play with will be putting on Ragtime - The Musical later this year. I glanced at the writeup on Wiki and it says it's a small-ish ensemble with 2 bone parts (tenor & bass).

Has anyone played this before? Which bone part is 'better'?

Thanks!
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)
BHolleyBrass

Re: Tell me about Ragtime - The Musical

Post by BHolleyBrass »

I played the tenor book about ten years ago and it's up there in my top favorite shows. It's a pretty long show and definitely worth a watch and listen. The novel is interesting, too.

We only had one trumpet, one tenor, and a horn in the brass and I think the "canned band" filled the missing parts. That's how we usually have to do it at the performing arts magnet high school where my wife teaches. Funds *usually* only allow us to use six or seven people in the pit.
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72
MBurner

Re: Tell me about Ragtime - The Musical

Post by MBurner »

This was one of my more favorite books that I played when I still lived in NYC. I played the tenor book, and it had some good meat, and was really enjoyable (unlike some musicals that will remain nameless). If you’re paired down as far as pit size, definitely do the tenor book- it lines up more melodically and with the rest of the brass. I used a large bore tenor as I was also prepping auditions, but if I could do it again, I’d use a .525 with a trigger.

Return to “Performance”