The worst luck (broken trigger)

LeoInFL

The worst luck (broken trigger)

Post by LeoInFL »

We had the 1st concert of our back-to-back last night. Wouldn't you know it, as we were running through a few rough spots pre-concert my fellow bass trombonist had the F-trigger lever break off where it solders onto the bell brace. He had to try to manage the entire concert with just the Gb attachment. Luckily one of our section-mates is letting him borrow his bass for tonight's show.

He's had that bass for 20+ years with never a problem until last night.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-present)
timothy42b

Re: The worst luck (broken trigger)

Post by timothy42b »

Long long ago there was a thread entitled "Not If, but When!"

I don't recall if this was the trombone-l, the old OTJ, or some other iteration, but Doug Yeo told the story of a BSO performance where the trigger broke, and how the section did a workaround and still played.

If anybody remembers, you might share a link.

Note to self: bring a minimum of two trombones to every important gig.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I was at LA Phil to listen to Alpine Symphony a few years ago. The regular 2nd trombone sub was playing 3rd trombone, and had bought a new 50 slide to play on his 42AFG for the low part. I can't remember exactly when it happened, but he played something, emptied his spit valve, and the whole assembly broke right off. I watched it all live!!

I think David or Jim (principal and associate) had some chewing gum or something, and he slapped it on the hole for the duration. I was not jealous of his situation.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:39 pm ... had bought a new 50 slide to play on his 42AFG for the low part. ... he played something, emptied his spit valve, and the whole assembly broke right off.
Bach manufacturing quality!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:31 pm

Bach manufacturing quality!
To be fair, it's happened to me on a 112H (in a rehearsal, thankfully) as well.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

I was playing a community symphony pops concert about 18 or 19 years ago on my dependent Getzen 1062 when the F trigger mount came unsoldered from the from the brace, leaving me helpless on anything below 7th position E, other than pedal tones. Fortunately I think it was only the last number on the program, possibly the Symphonic Scenario from Victory at Sea, which didn't have much below that note if I recall. That was the only time that horn has ever let me down.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Had two instances.

One: My bass trombone fell off a trombone stand and landed on the Gb trigger mechanism, breaking a plastic part. I was able to lock the Gb trigger in the "unused" position and finish out on just the F trigger. Now I have a spare plastic part and can replace it quickly (although I have not had to).

Two: Middle of a brass quintet concert. The water key fell off my trombone. Fortunately I had a spare trombone in the car and finished out on it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I also had the f-attachment assembly break loose where it was soldered to the bell brace on my Bach 42B on the day of a performance - in my case, it was in Grand Rapids for the North American Brass Band Association competition; our band was competing in the championship section. Long story short, I was able to track down a repairwoman who had a shop nearby, and had my horn back to me good-as-new in a couple of hours. I had bought the 42 new about 27 years before, and had never had any problems with it until that day. Trying to look at the bright side, at least it wasn't just before, or during, our performance.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I was playing bass on a concert when my F-valve froze. Probably dirt or grit got stuck in the valve. I finished the concert with the G-flat valve. Fortunately, there were no notes below a low D.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Never had a saddle pop off, but I've had springs fail.

I've also had to replace bumpers on the fly (a common issue with some Olds rotors, since the bumper is a little O-ring on a post). I carry spares and the necessary tools with me. I've had a fair amount of practice, so it only takes me a couple minutes to take the rotor apart, pop a new O-ring on, and reassemble it. I've also gotten pretty good at noticing the signs that a O-ring is getting tired.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I was one of those extra horns that play at the end of Pines of Rome. We were seated at the back of the orchestra but expected to stand when our passage came up in the finale.

About 10 seconds before I went onstage I realized my fly was open so I reached down to zip it up and... the tab comes off and the "slider" that meshes the zipper teeth together falls apart! This is extra alarming because the button that holds the top together had been gone for years. Who needs the button if the zipper holds the pants together anyway, right?

There's no to time to run around looking for safety pins or duct tape or whatever else they do in movies when someone tears a garment. I will have to make do with a fly that is about 75% zipped with just inertia and friction holding it together. I figure if I suck my gut in for the next 20 minutes it will be OK.

But, no, it was not OK. By the time the Appian way gets to Rome my fly is completely undone. Probably not many people noticed but awkward none-the-less.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Performance”