Started a little trombone support group

Kingfan

Started a little trombone support group

Post by Kingfan »

I play in a community band with three other trombone players. The band is starting up again in mid-June, and I figured it was time for me to start playing more than twice a month or so. I know I need somebody keeping an eye on me so we have started a "trombone practice support group". No judgements, no scolding, just every time we practice we tell the others. I made the first post "Played some Remington warm-ups and read half of the Broadway concert folder." Might work for others in similar situations - now that bands are starting up again, use gentle peer pressure to get your section's chops back. Our section's goal is to make the conductor's jaw drop at the first live rehearsal - not because we suck, but because we don't!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Oslide

Re: Started a little trombone support group

Post by Oslide »

That's a nice idea :good:
At my age, it may be good to start by sending our portraits as first aid...
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
lewbone92

Post by lewbone92 »

Such a cool idea! :good:

While I’m not part of a community band just yet (I began playing trombone as the pandemic began last year and sadly the bands in my area halted rehearsals/concerts) I would love to round up beginning players in my area so we can learn from each other and improve.
Amateur trombonist who loves summer community band and wearing four-button polo shirts.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

It's working. All four of us are posting. Not every day, but we are all trying. Sometimes they post they got 15 minutes of long tones in; yeah, not much, but for us amateurs who laid off the horns when the bands stopped playing it is better than nothing. I'm the only retiree so I have less excuse than the others for not playing. I am playing my 7B with my new Axe Handle and a different mouthpiece (thanks, Doug!) and am rediscovering how great a horn it is.
Greg Songer
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

lewbone92 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:31 am Such a cool idea! :good:

While I’m not part of a community band just yet (I began playing trombone as the pandemic began last year and sadly the bands in my area halted rehearsals/concerts) I would love to round up beginning players in my area so we can learn from each other and improve.
I'm old/old school so haven't done it myself, but with Skype and other similar apps it is supposed to be easy to do duets with somebody else.
Greg Songer
Sgroth01

Post by Sgroth01 »

Like another player in another thread, I had a 20 year layoff due to career. I'd been playing in a solid community band until then. Wanted to get back in and when I recently retired, covid hit. So, I had more time to practice and no excuse not to! Got myself back (barely) to a level where I could sit in with the community band again. For now, I'm happy to play 3rd and huff out the low notes. Embrochure has been my big challenge, so I'm focusing on that at the moment. Also.... Somehow the Benge 165f feels heavier than it did 20 years ago! So....bought some dumbbells and am doing a little strength training. Are those old bones heavier than newer models? I just don't get how my horn gained so much weight?! 🤣

Steve
Benge 170
Benge 165f
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Sgroth01 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:48 pm Like another player in another thread, I had a 20 year layoff due to career. I'd been playing in a solid community band until then. Wanted to get back in and when I recently retired, covid hit. So, I had more time to practice and no excuse not to! Got myself back (barely) to a level where I could sit in with the community band again. For now, I'm happy to play 3rd and huff out the low notes. Embrochure has been my big challenge, so I'm focusing on that at the moment. Also.... Somehow the Benge 165f feels heavier than it did 20 years ago! So....bought some dumbbells and am doing a little strength training. Are those old bones heavier than newer models? I just don't get how my horn gained so much weight?! 🤣

Steve
Benge 170
Benge 165f
Those trombones get fat when not used. Not your fault. You're not getting old :wink:
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
DominicaSanchez

Post by DominicaSanchez »

This is great idea especially that pre Xmas days! I think there is a lot of possibilities to play on cafe or restaurants!
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

We do something like this quite naturally. I play in one of the oldest Salvation Army Bands in the world, Portsmouth Citadel, during lock down the 5 of us have been in constant email contact with lots of various topics. There is a 6th member who has had to retire due to health and age and is now more or less house bound so we decided as a section we would visit him and his wife in the run up to Christmas and play carols to him. We should have worked on the principal of forgiveness after not permission before, because the wife notified the landlord of the impending visit and he said no. They were heartbroken but then came up with the suggestion that they got him into a car and drove him to a local car park where we could meet him. The car park they chose was right on the seas edge and would have been great in daylight but this was 6.30 at night and it was pitch black and not even a street light in site, so black! We parked 4 cars two on either side and left the side lights on and the guys son in law duly delivered him to the site. We have polo shirts and shell jackets that say 'Team Trombone' on them and our bands name (we did this just to wind up the non trombone players in the band!!) We got an extra set embroidered for our chap and presented them to him as an 'honorary life member of the section'. Just to add to the occassion we brought my 4 year old grandson along with his 'P buss' here in this picture he is stood between his dad (my son) and myself. Not a great picture but the lighting was impossible to take a decent photograph. Community and comradery amongst the trombones... has to be done. I think this venue and this occassion out scores the ocassions I have played in the Royal Albert Hall or Symphony Hall or anywhere else. Kingfan... keep this up, its important and life giving :good: ... Doug

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Great story, Doug!
Greg Songer

Return to “Performance”