Book of Solos

Mv2541

Book of Solos

Post by Mv2541 »

I hadn't seen anyone post about this, so I thought I would. I bought one and I think they did a great job. Page turns and layouts all make sense, and the book is super clear and easy to read. The only thing I don't like that I noticed so far is they changed the key of the Meditation from Thais to Ab. Also some of the pieces (Stojowski for example) take up more pages than the normal editions due to printing quite wide for readability.

I also bought the aria book but haven't had much time to look through it yet.

https://www.bookofsolos.com/trombone-store
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Crazy4Tbone86

Re: Book of Solos

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

That's a nice collection of solos for the price. Is there a catch, like....the piano accompaniments are not included?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Elow

Post by Elow »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:34 am That's a nice collection of solos for the price. Is there a catch, like....the piano accompaniments are not included?
For the book of solos there is not, can’t imagine there’s one for the arias
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

There is NOT a catch....or.....the piano parts are NOT included?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Elow

Post by Elow »

No piano parts
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

From the Book of Solos page: “Piano scores are accessible via a free web link in your book.”
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

There's a link they give you to access the piano scores online for the solo book. The aria book does not include them at all, but you definitely don't need them since the works are so old. What the aria book does include is text, translation, and the basic context for the aria in the story.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I have really enjoyed mine. I like the Brahms 4 Serious Songs and the Schumann Romances. If you plan to play one of these in a performance, it probably makes sense to buy a version with the piano part, but for just getting a chance to read and learn a whole bunch of solos for $20 or whatever it is, this thing is great.
priceco

Post by priceco »

Elow wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:39 amNo piano parts
Hi everyone - new here! There are actually piano parts - you can find them on the same link as the recording page - for the Book of Arias - the piano parts are accessible via a QR code in the book.

Thanks for all the love!
priceco

Post by priceco »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:24 am There is NOT a catch....or.....the piano parts are NOT included?
Hi - again, new here, so please forgive me if I'm breaking any rules! We are actually including the piano parts. We have them with the same link as the recommended recordings. Sadly - it has just taken us longer than planned to get all of the "paper work" done to put out our best editions!

I love reading these comments on this forum..As a trombonist - I can't believe I didn't know about this before!
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Happy customer here (although maybe a bit of a demanding one)! The books themselves are awesome, fantastic engraving quality and generally well-made. The piano parts are engraved similarly, the only difference being you have to print them yourself. Also, Sam, where's my bass bone Book of Arias?

Joey Rupert
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

These are all free on IMSLP, with piano parts. That is an expensive spiral binding.

I know, I know. Photoscore helped make the engraving better. I see the door. Moving there now....
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:09 pm These are all free on IMSLP, with piano parts. That is an expensive spiral binding.

I know, I know. Photoscore helped make the engraving better. I see the door. Moving there now....
$35 for a big quality-of-life improvement. The IMSLP parts are often badly engraved or badly scanned, or already marked up significantly.

Return to “Performance”