Performing after getting Vaxxed

BigBadandBass

Performing after getting Vaxxed

Post by BigBadandBass »

Hey y'all, so I have a recital on the 30th of April, and my second dose of the Covid vax and the 27th of the same month. Do any of you have experience playing after getting it and how it affects things? If it helps it'll be the Moderno
WilliamLang

Re: Performing after getting Vaxxed

Post by WilliamLang »

a day after my second dose my entire body was sore as anything - kinda like a the way your arm might feel after a shot but everywhere. two days later was ok.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It's a 24 hour thing
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:16 pm It's a 24 hour thing
Actually, from what I've heard it can be a 48 hour thing. But everybody is different. Could be as little as nothing at all, to a sore arm, to something like a fever that lasts 2 days.

I'll find out in a week when I get my 2nd (Pfizer).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

My exact experience is:

About 12 hours after the shot my arm became sore, like with the flu shot or anthrax vacc. Then in about another hour or so I became extremely exhausted. I slept most of the next day, and then was better than before I got the shot.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:38 pm My exact experience is:

About 12 hours after the shot my arm became sore, like with the flu shot or anthrax vacc. Then in about another hour or so I became extremely exhausted. I slept most of the next day, and then was better than before I got the shot.
Yes, the tracking software getting installed takes a lot of calories. :pant:
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have sort of the same situstion, two days of recording session right when I will be due for my second Moderna. I don't have it scheduled yet but I will put it off until after the session. If I were you I'd get it after the recital.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:49 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:38 pm My exact experience is:

I was just being snarky over the hair splitting. They put the tracking device in with the peanut butter shot on day one. Good thing I'm allergic to penicillin.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:15 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:49 pm

I was just being snarky over the hair splitting. They put the tracking device in with the peanut butter shot on day one. Good thing I'm allergic to penicillin.
I'll be getting mine in the next month or so, I'm worried about the tracking chips interfering with each other at this point...
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you are really worried about tracking chips, get rid of your cell phone. That tracks you a lot better than the Jewish Space Laser :tongue:
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Elow

Post by Elow »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:52 pm If you are really worried about tracking chips, get rid of your cell phone. That tracks you a lot better than the Jewish Space Laser :tongue:
But then how can i check facebook for trustworthy articles on the space lasers???
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I felt like I had been hit by a truck for 24-hours after the first Pfizer shot. After the second, only my arm hurt though I was very tired for 48-hours.

It was only on the third day I began to receive the 5G messages through my teeth.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Got the Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon. This morning, slightly sore at point of injection, otherwise no reaction.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Any reaction or non reaction is different in each person
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

It kicked my rear end pretty hard the day after, but like the others above, it was a 24 hour thing.

I could have worked or played trombone if I'd needed to (I did my usual warmup) but chose to take it easy.

However, there seems to be an interaction with age. I am <ahem> well perhaps not very mature, but at least am advanced in calendar years. My daughter was hit twice as hard, and says that the younger you are, with the stronger immune system, the harder it hits you. That seems to have been the general experience around here.

I don't know how old the OP is but if you're college student age I'd be concerned. That first 24 hours are going to be hard. Us old timers have it a little easier.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

I got pfizer. First was ok, second kicked my butt. Felt terrible the next day and kind of lethargic/ill for the next 3-4 days.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Well I am still waiting for it. All my gigs are canelled anyway. Sweden.
tim

Post by tim »

I got Moderna. Both jabs didn't affect me much. Just a sore arm, like a tetanus shot. That went away after a day. Got a bit tired but otherwise fine. My daughter on the other hand got knocked down pretty hard.
Tim

"We play a slide bugle"
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I got my second Moderna shot a couple of weeks ago. I was fine for about 18-20 hours. Then the mild flu-like symptoms kicked in (achy muscles/joints, fatigue). The symptoms lasted about 36 hours. I was not able to do much beyond minimal daily functions. I was not motivated/able to pick up my trombone at all while the symptoms were occurring.

I am 57 and have many friends have kids in their 20s. From what they are telling me, the 20-somethings seem to be hit much harder by the Moderna second dose.

On a different topic.....by far, the worst vaccination that I have received was the second dose of the Shingrix shot for shingles. That darn vaccine ruined me for 3 solid days.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I got 1st dose of AstraZeneca. In Canada, the 2nd dose is 4 months after the 1st - trying to get as many first doses out as possible to slow the spread.

Mild effects for me. A bit of a headache and mild nausea for a couple of hours on the evening of the shot. The injection site was tender for a few days, but again, not anything that kept me away from any of my normal routines.

Jim Scott
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

I got my first Pfizer about 2 weeks ago. Just a little soreness at the injection spot. I had the option to sign up for the 2nd on the day before Easter, but I accepted an Easter Vigil gig that night and an Easter morning gig, so I signed up for a few days later.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I got my first Moderna 2 weeks ago. My arm was sore, but nothing else. I hope that the 2nd is that easy. I played my first gig in a year yesterday - a Palm Sunday service with my brass quintet. All of us in the group have had at least 1 shot, and the church was very distanced, so I felt pretty safe.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Everybody's different; there's no predicting reactions to the virus nor the vaccine. Anecdotes are all over the place. If I had a vaccine appointment on the 27th and a gig on the 30th, and already had my first shot, I'd line up a backup substitute in case of complications rather than considering rescheduling the second shot or skipping the gig. This is not advice; I'm just saying what I would do.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Pfizer. No reaction either shot, could just as well have been water. Might have been. North Dakota is determined to stay ahead of Minnesota and South Dakota in the vac race.
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Thanks for the input so far everyone! Turns out the minnesotan stars aligned and I'm getting the Janssen this weekend and don't have to worry about the recital.... I do have an easter gig the day after the stab though, I'll update everyone with that goes :idk:
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Aha! Single shot (Johnson and Johnson). Good luck.

I get my second Pfizer on Friday.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I slept for 2 days. Also, couldn't hold my horn up without pain in my shoulder for 3 days.
When I went in for my first shot I wanted it in my right shoulder to avoid pain holding up my horn but the pharmacist said he "had" to give it in the left shoulder. I don't know why.

To the OP, I don't understand why you asked the question? You already had your first shot, so you should have a good idea of what to expect with the second.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

bigbandbone wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 am To the OP, I don't understand why you asked the question? You already had your first shot, so you should have a good idea of what to expect with the second.
Not true. Many have a quite different, and more severe, reaction to their second vaccine injection.
bigbandbone wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 am I slept for 2 days. Also, couldn't hold my horn up without pain in my shoulder for 3 days.
When I went in for my first shot I wanted it in my right shoulder to avoid pain holding up my horn but the pharmacist said he "had" to give it in the left shoulder. I don't know why.
So sorry that you had such a strong after-effect to your first dose. Most of the dozens of folks that I have known to be vaccinated have had very few problems. Strong reactions are more common in younger vaccine recipients (who have naturally stronger immune systems that fight the vaccine antigens). Old folks like me are more likely to sail through both shots, as I did.

You should have been allowed to get your second injection in your right shoulder. I believe the pharmacist is misinformed. :frown:
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Sometimes they are staged to give a vac in one arm or the other. You pretty much have to go along with their program. For example, if it was a drive-up, then the driver would most likely get it in the left arm and the passenger in the right arm.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

My understanding (which is borrowed from the various Mayo Clinic and CDC authorities I have heard address the issue) is that an individual's reaction to a Covid shot is not an indicator of the efficacy that individual's immune system one way or another. This "reaction" phenomenon is still very much in the "we don't know yet" category.

Anecdotally, no one in my family, which includes me in the mid-60s, a wife in mid-50s, and two kids in their 20s, had a reaction to the Pfizer shot. Not even a sore arm. (I don't react to shots of any type, other than a mildly sore arm for half a day or so after my second Shingles shot).

Yet, I assume we all have fairly robust immune systems, if not ever getting sick is an indicator. Neither kid has ever had the flu or missed school due to illness and my wife and I have never had the flu, ever, and don't catch colds very often. I haven't had a cold deserving of mention for at least fifteen or twenty years (meaning I can't even remember the last time I had a dozy of a cold) and I can't recall my wife ever having one. And it isn't as if we are cloistered, as I still work half-time at a local high school as a theater and speech coach and occasionally sub at an elementary school and my wife works at a university research center.

Long story short, if you didn't experience a noticeable reaction to your Covid shot, don't sweat your immune system. This reaction issue is an unsettled puzzle with missing pieces.
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

bigbandbone wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 am To the OP, I don't understand why you asked the question? You already had your first shot, so you should have a good idea of what to expect with the second.
I actually haven't had either yet and from what I've heard, the first hits like a sedan while the second hits like a truck.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BigBadandBass wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:31 pm
I actually haven't had either yet and from what I've heard, the first hits like a sedan while the second hits like a truck.
Don't believe everything you've "heard." Many folks have moderate to mild to negligible reactions to the injections, no matter which manufacturer. Of dozens of acquaintances in my age group (over 55), only one had a strong reaction (to his second shot) which required him to rest for 24 hours. Each individual's reaction can be different, but the majority sail through with little difficulty. And the feeling of liberation is great! :good:
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

This is always the issue with anecdotal evidence. It’s always skewed one direction or the other, in this case probably towards the negative. Everyone’s reaction, or lack thereof, is different.

For my part, no reaction at all the first (Pfizer) vaccine this week beyond a slightly sore arm. Second vaccine is two days before a gig (a real gig, in a bar!) with a paddle tennis tournament the day after that, so we’ll see!
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I had both doses of the Moderna shot... first shot, my arm was pretty sore for a few days. Second shot... same arm, no problems at all.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

deanmccarty wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:29 pm I had both doses of the Moderna shot... first shot, my arm was pretty sore for a few days. Second shot... same arm, no problems at all.
The more of us that are vaccinated, the sooner life (and music) will return to (near-) normal! :good:
King2bPlus

Post by King2bPlus »

Got the J&J vax a month ago. No side effects.
Ken Jackson
King 2b+, King 3b
Elliott LT 104N, C, C2
Elliott LT 104N, C+, D2
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

Had 1st AZ shot a few weeks ago. Sore arm for a bit (had the option of which arm), and fluey symptoms started after 10 hours. Bad for 24 hours, but all gone exactly 48 hours after the jab.
nmahon

Post by nmahon »

I had my 2nd Pfizer shot a few days ago and I gained a major third on my high register. My average overall volume output rose by 10 decibels.
trombone solo, Orchestre Symphonique de Quebec

Return to “Performance”