TIme to ditch Lassus Trombone

Bach5G

Re: TIme to ditch Lassus Trombone

Post by Bach5G »

This strikes me as such an odd thread. Defending Lassus is just not a hill on which I’d be prepared to die. Tristan and Isolde, maybe.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Redthunder wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:55 pm
BGuttman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:52 pm I saw an Antiques Roadshow where there was a Black who collected these obscene artifacts -- Lawn Jockeys, ash trays, etc.
Calling a black person "a black" is a shitty thing to do Bruce, and this is not the first time it's been pointed out to you either.
Sorry. When I was in college, and new awareness was emerging among African-Americans, they wanted to be called Black (as opposed to Negro, and some less complementary names). What is the PC term now?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

The point is there’s a difference between calling someone “a Black” or “a black person” (or perhaps “a Black person”).

Skipping the word person makes a big difference.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:33 am
timbone wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:49 pm Such a heavy topic. Too bad the cancel culture got inside the trombone world.

It's okay to cancel racist music. Are you lamenting the loss of minstrel music and shows?
I think the challenge (and one that we haven't always met very well) is to avoid cancelling our fellow musicians during the discussion.
conical

Post by conical »

8parktoollover wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:38 am I think music means what you want it to mean. If you interperet it as racist then it's racist, if you don't it's not. I think lassus is a recognizable piece that has lost it's original meaning long ago. I don't think it's racist but I wouldn't play it to avoid complications.
EXACTLY!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

conical wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:32 am
8parktoollover wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:38 am I think music means what you want it to mean. If you interperet it as racist then it's racist, if you don't it's not. I think lassus is a recognizable piece that has lost it's original meaning long ago. I don't think it's racist but I wouldn't play it to avoid complications.
EXACTLY!
Please don't.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

It's racist. Why do we have to keep resurrecting this thread for people to say Lassus Trombone is not racist? It's racist as F***. Let it go, folks.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
EdwardSolomon

Post by EdwardSolomon »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:52 pm @Harrison: The Israel Philharmonic did ban Wagner at some time, mostly because he was Hitler's favorite composer. But times change and they now perform Wagner. No mention of Hitler in any program notes, though. Incidentally, Sixtus Beckmesser in "Die Meistersinger" was supposed to be a parody of a Jew. He's certainly not a pleasant individual and gets his comeuppance in the opera.
The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra categorically does not perform Wagner and nor did its predecessor, the Palestine Symphony Orchestra. Even visiting orchestras are subject to the unofficial ban on Wagner's music. Any time an orchestra attempts to perform the music of Richard Wagner, it results in public uproar and widespread condemnation from political leaders in local and central government.

Return to “Performance”