Suggestions of what to play during lockdown

samopn

Suggestions of what to play during lockdown

Post by samopn »

Hi

Not sure where to put this post..... we'll start off here and see what happens

So, I've got a book of "Bernstein for trombone" solos (with piano) which has all the classics - Maria; Somewhere; Something coming; One Hand, One Heart; Tonight; etc etc and I absolutely adore playing them - West Side Story is just about my favourite film/musical/suite. Over the lockdown however I've been through them so many times I'm getting close to playing them out.

Has anyone got any suggestions of a similar sort of thing/era that could keep that part of me alive?

Cheers

Samo
norbie2018

Re: Suggestions of what to play during lockdown

Post by norbie2018 »

There is a Frank Sinatra songbook for trombone that I recently ordered which might fit for you. It hasn't arrived but I am looking forward to playing simple, beautiful songs.

You might also want to but a copy of the Arban Manual and work through the book while in lockdown. And record yourself! Nothing better than working on basics of playing and listening back to the good and bad of it.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I got the Sinatra thing, and it's nice. Lots of key signatures and all in treble clef, though, so maybe not for casual players.

I also enjoy my collection of Real Books in bass clef. Tons of stuff to read and learn, and a lot of stuff should be familiar. You need a hefty stand to use one of these. Not for wire stands.

Yesterday I just ordered a Disney fake book, and the Snedecor etudes for trombone discussed in another thread. You can only play Rochut so many hundreds of times.

These books with melody, lyrics and chords can also help you if you want to do some arranging. It's another musical skill that you can practice and gain satisfaction from.
samopn

Post by samopn »

Hey thanks

Just tried Googling "Frank Sinatra songbook for trombone" and it wasn't found. Is that its full title?

S
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

samopn wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:10 am Hey thanks

Just tried Googling "Frank Sinatra songbook for trombone" and it wasn't found. Is that its full title?

S
No, it's Frank Sinatra Fake Book.
https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... ra#p110358
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Sorry - fake book.

Hal Leonard The Frank Sinatra Fake Book

It may be in treble clef it is not specific to trombone.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I've really enjoyed playing Gershwin:

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/ge ... ic/3803693

Very nice to play with piano accompaniment. Room to improvise if you want. And if you can't get together with a pianist, there's a "playalong" CD included. 11 songs, only $16.99.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I have been doing some multi track stuff. I have a ton of bone 4tet pieces that somebody gave me years ago. Anyone is welcome to download these if you want to. They didn't cost me anything:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Mikebmiller wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:34 pm I have been doing some multi track stuff. I have a ton of bone 4tet pieces that somebody gave me years ago. Anyone is welcome to download these if you want to. They didn't cost me anything:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
That looks like Bob Morris' collection. Some nice stuff there.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

This week I tried a version of a DIY playalong.

I went to https://www.bandmusicpdf.org/ and opened the Holst Suite in Eb. It opens as a PDF with all the parts.

I "printed" to pdf selected pages rather than the entire package. So I made files for trombone, cornet in Bb, and horn in F. Printing to PDF is a good way to grab selected pages from a PDF if you don't have the full Acrobat version.

Then I cued up a performance on youtube, and played along. I was using my Eb mini pBone so it was a good brain exercise in alto fingerings, cornet and horn transposition.

Bandmusicpdf has an amazing collection of public domain parts, like all the Sousa, etc. A huge amount of what we see in amateur community bands is there free. I put the pdfs on my Kindle Fire and played from that.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I just got my Disney fake book from Hickey's and played through some of it. Some very recognizable tunes from popular movies. It's all in treble clef, and mostly simpler keys than the Sinatra book. Includes lyrics and chords. If you play guitar and read chords, it would be great for sing along around a camp fire. I did not recognize a lot of the songs, but I don't watch a lot of Disney movies. 250+ tunes, plastic comb binder, easy to lay flat on stand.
samopn

Post by samopn »

I just bought myself a book of solos by Arthur Pryor. I thought they might be amusing.

Big mistake... they are soooo "demanding" and demoralising.... what I really need now is stuff that plays itself.

Ho hum
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

+1 on a Realbook. I’ve spent a lot of time the past 2 months just learning tunes.

Return to “Performance”