Gabrieli for double quintet or brass choir

Mikebmiller

Gabrieli for double quintet or brass choir

Post by Mikebmiller »

I am putting together a brass choir concert this fall and would like to do some Gabrieli. There are so many different tunes and arrangements out there that I am having a hard time figuring out what to get. Can anyone recommend a specific arrangement for 10-12 players that they know is good and doesn't cost too much?

Is there anywhere to get the arrangements that were used on the famous Antiphonal Music of Gabrieli recording?

And I am not opposed to free stuff on Musescore or IMSLP if there is anything out there.

Thanks.
LeTromboniste

Re: Gabrieli for double quintet or brass choir

Post by LeTromboniste »

You don't really need an arrangement, just pick pieces that fit the number of players. Lots of Gabrieli music on IMSLP and CPDL. Trumpet and horn players can usually sight read parts that are in concert pitch, otherwise you can always make transposed parts for them. I would recommend picking at least some pieces of vocal music - trying to follow the word accentuation and to "play the text" is a really good way to develop a sense of phrasing for that music that is quite different from modern brass player reflexes.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I may not "need" one, but it makes it a lot easier to have one.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I'd use imslp to look for instrumental pieces, the size of the ensemble is labeled in the titles there in the case of Gabrieli - there are a few a10 and maybe two or three a12. The vocal pieces are not as nicely labeled on IMSLP but they are here :http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Giovanni_Gabrieli.

You can do the same search for Andrea Gabrieli. There are tons of other composers of the same era worth looking into and that wrote polychoral music with brass. Willaert, Vecchi, Merulo, Rossi, Neri, Schütz, Scheidt, Stadlmayr, Hieronymus Praetorius, and many others.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Check out this site, lots of music, just make a choise.
https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:Category ... _Giovanni/
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Tim Higgins's arrangements (from the new Gabrieli album) are available on his website:

http://www.415-music.com/products?category=Gabrieli
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I should point out that many of the Gabrieli 12 part pieces are for 3 quartets rather than two sextets.

Most Gabrieli pieces were not written for specific instruments, so you can allot parts to meet your ensemble requirements.

Maximilien's suggestions are excellent. Lots of very nice music out there for brass ensemble.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Thanks everybody. The Tim Higgins site is exactly what I was looking for.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I bought a couple of pieces of of the Tim Higgins site. They are really beautifully engraved and only $20 each. Very well done!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Does anyone know where to find the "Music For Brass" piece by John Williams that is on the National Brass Ensemble CD? I have looked at Hickeys and Sheet Music Plus with no luck.

Return to “Performance”