Right way to play Dvorak Symphony No.9

classic4love

Right way to play Dvorak Symphony No.9

Post by classic4love »

dvorak.png
Hi, I've got some question about playing Dvorak symphony No.9, 1st movement.
Because of continuous playing during this part, most of players take a breath on marked place.
(like this clip)

However, I saw that some of players skip the last note from marked place for better breathing.
(like this clip)

Is it matter of interpretation?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Re: Right way to play Dvorak Symphony No.9

Post by BGuttman »

You have lots of company there so skipping a note won't show as badly.

I tend to shorten the quarter and grab a breath there.

This part is palyed by both 1st and 2nd so you can work out different places to breathe so the line isn't interrupted.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

The breath you take 16 before the end needs to last you until that bar. Catch a breath in between the E and the C in that bar. If you can't catch a breath large enough to make it through the next four bars, use smaller equipment!

The right way to play this passage is with heavy attacks, LOTS of energy on the top G and the C in the bar 7 from the end, and to not play the B's too long at the end. The louder you play this passage, the more impactful the pp chorale is at the beginning of the second movement.

Edit: Forgot to add that the entire orchestra is playing full-bore at that point, and this is the moving line. It must be heard, and aim for the downbeat arrival at the end of the passage.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I'll play devil's advocate here. There is no such thing as "the right way" to play any music. Some ways maybe be more effective, convincing, expressive, aligned with an analysis of the piece, etc (or any combination of the above) but there is never one single valid answer.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Inspector71

Post by Inspector71 »

I'd breathe after the E, two bars before the circled measure, and again after the E in the circled measure... Not that I think it's right or wrong...but that's where I would.
Michael D. McLemore
Former Owner/Craftsman
M&W Custom Trombones

Return to “Performance”