Why Do Trombonists Suck At Improvising?

BGuttman

Re: Why Do Trombonists Suck At Improvising?

Post by BGuttman »

Wow. Now I finally know how to pronounce his name. Looks like a good source.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
PaulTdot

Post by PaulTdot »

Yes, this kind of thing can be a good approach to learning or practicing improvising. I consider it one of the three "areas" to work on; seems like a reasonable source for that.

If you have good enough ears and are familiar enough with [whatever style you want to sound like], you're better off getting these melodic cells from your favourite players/recordings, but in the absence of that a book like this could be a decent substitute.
Paul T.
---
XO Brass Recording Artist
1236L-O
ds21

Post by ds21 »

I believe it would help improvisation at any level to try to turn off the logical, self-critical style of thinking about the sounds you're making.
Real-time analysis of your playing is fine for learning chord changes, but it chokes off creativity when it's needed most.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

During the COVID shutdowns I decided to work on my long-neglected improv skills, my weakest area. Paul the Trombonist (also suffering from COVID restrictions like everyone else) had some great tips online plus links to free improv guides. I think the trick is not to try and be Bill Watrous or Frank Rosolino, out of the gate. American ears are used to very simple structures in music nowadays (heck, look at all the rap) so keeping it simple and LISTENING to the flow of chord changes is key. You will be relaxed and still be able to impress. Like a lot of things, starting in is half the battle.
King Jiggs 2BL :good:
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass :redface:
Holton bass trumpet
GGJazz

Post by GGJazz »

Hello to everyone.

I found this thread very interesting ; a lots of good advice !
I would like to bring my thought , too .

I don' t think the difficulties we find improvising Music are only related to extreme speed , and chords' complexity .
If so , then anyone would be able to take a beautiful solo on a medium time , over a repeated easy single chord , like : [ Cmaj / open ] 88 bpm ...

To me , improvising Music is basically the same as composing Music . The main difference is that , when we improvise , we have to do it istantly .
So , as to learn how to compose , we have to learn two basic rules : 1) how to build musical phrases; 2) how to resolve the tones at the point the chords changes .

I think that start to put the hands on a piano/ keyboard is a very useful thing , to learn how things works . Playing chords on the piano will show us how close the voicings are between different chords , if we use the proper inversions.

Further , if we want to improvise jazz Music , we have to learn how this Music "sounds" like , listening it for years .

As member ExZacLee explained at the pages 1 and 2 of this thread , then we have to listen , learn to play , and analyze Jazz Trombone Master' solos .

Regards to everyone
Giancarlo
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'll admit I haven't read any of this thread, but anyway...

baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I totally remade my practice routine after hearing his low flexibilities before a Holman rehearsal.

Plays in time. That's so huge.
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

Some very interesting thoughts on Twitter lately from Jacob Garchik and Ethan Iverson on 'improvising' not really being improvised!

johntarr

Post by johntarr »

brumpone wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:08 am Some very interesting thoughts on Twitter lately from Jacob Garchik and Ethan Iverson on 'improvising' not really being improvised!

The Iverson article is very interesting and helps me better understand how playing jazz can be very much like speaking. When we talk, we often use the same few words, sentences and phrases, over and over. However, we still can say something unique, original, and, if it’s a conversation (versus a monologue), we hopefully respond to what our partners are saying. So improvisation becomes choosing which phrase to use and how to follow up plus doing that in the context.

Thanks for posting that essay!

Return to “Performance”