Hello from Virginia

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
Rbmcneil

Hello from Virginia

Post by Rbmcneil »

Hello from Virginia, I am a returning student to the trombone. Its been about 44 years since I was in band, but here I am. I have a 1979 Conn Director 16H that is in better condition than I am. I have a passion for Jazz and a desire to see if I can produce on this instrument what I hear in my head. I look forward to interacting with this community and gleaning knowledge to further my progression.
BGuttman

Re: Hello from Virginia

Post by BGuttman »

What do you hear in your head that you want to reproduce on trombone? Simple stuff? OK. Doodle-tongued Bob McChesney lick? Probably not so soon.

Obviously you need to work on fundamentals. It's been an awfully long while that you haven't been playing. Get to the point that you can play a simple scale starting on C, D, Eb, E, F, G, Ab, A, and Bb. If you can make 2 octaves: E below the bass staff to E above the bass staff, so much the better.

Next, calibrate your head with the notes. Think of a note, then play it, then figure out what note it is.

Play a lick "from your head" and then write it down. This is a way we used to learn jazz solos.

Note that we have a bunch of great players in the Washington, DC area and you could easily find somebody to give you a few lessons to get you on your way.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Lamplighter

Re: Hello fro Virginia

Post by Lamplighter »

There are a fair number of us gray hairs coming back to the horn after a long lay off. The best thing I did was find a teacher and take lessons. I soon realized that I didn't really know how to practice or even what to practice. His point is that practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent.

It must be helping me. I just started back after a forced 3 week lay off after having 2 wisdom teeth pulled. My wife's comment as I finished the first practice session after I was cleared to play was "You don't sound nearly as bad as you did in July when you started!" I think that it was a compliment of sorts. :lol:
Rbmcneil

Post by Rbmcneil »

Thanks for the reply...I am currently working on long tones and scales. Trying to strengthen my embouchure and working on note articulation. After the holidays and new year, I plan on taking some online lessons.
Rbmcneil

Post by Rbmcneil »

Lamplighter wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:20 am There are a fair number of us gray hairs coming back to the horn after a long lay off. The best thing I did was find a teacher and take lessons. I soon realized that I didn't really know how to practice or even what to practice. His point is that practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent.

It must be helping me. I just started back after a forced 3 week lay off after having 2 wisdom teeth pulled. My wife's comment as I finished the first practice session after I was cleared to play was "You don't sound nearly as bad as you did in July when you started!" I think that it was a compliment of sorts. :lol:
That is awesome...lol I have not played in front of my wife yet :D
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

"Gray hairs"?

For hair color, my DL says "flesh".

:horror:
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
MBurner

Post by MBurner »

Welcome! If you’re in NOVA send me a message and let’s get some playing planned!
Rbmcneil

Post by Rbmcneil »

MBurner wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:06 am Welcome! If you’re in NOVA send me a message and let’s get some playing planned!
I live in the Blacksburg area...but if I am ever up that way, I will take you up on that offer.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I'm in Chester - if you're over my way we should get together!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “News & Announcements”