Starting up after a 35 year layoff

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
henrysa

Starting up after a 35 year layoff

Post by henrysa »

I used to be a contender. Trying to pick up the pieces on my King 4B f, Sonorous circa 1972. Years ago I gave away my Getzen tenor which I really liked. Had played it in CAL Marching Band. King in concert and jazz bands. My problem, among many others, is that I don't think there are any high notes left in the King. Just changed from a 6 1/2 AL to a Denis Wick 5AL Classic. I do like the tone, hopeful that I can sneak up on my register. Right now Es and Fs are occasionally being excreted. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Fine with buying a good new straight tenor, as this 4B weighs a ton. But I am hopelessly in love with the tone and power of this horn
Posaunus

Re: Starting up after a 35 year layoff

Post by Posaunus »

Speaking from experience – the high notes CAN return. But it will take lots of chop time on the mouthpiece(s) to get there. Like nearly every day, at least an hour. (Need not be in your lonely practice room if you can find some demanding groups to play in.) It's taken me a few years (and tears, with a major pandemic setback), but I've got 90% of the high range back. No reason to not buy and work on a straight tenor - that's what I did. But I'll never abandon my Conn 88H either.

Good luck!
Last edited by Posaunus on Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Keep working at it! There are exercises that are specifically for high range, like some of the Remingtons. I have the exact same horn, same vintage, Bach 5G Megatone mouthpiece. First non-student horn I ever got, and the only way somebody else will ever get it is to to pry it from my cold dead fingers.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

Yes agree more practice. Sure feels good when I get lucky. I wonder if physical fitness or lack thereof could be a factor. The lip makes it about 45 minutes. On practice, it's not like I have anything else to do. Such a sucker for a mouthpiece that supposedly could rule the world. All I can do to not just load up. Thanks for the encouragement.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Practice, take some lessons and join some bands/music ensembles and enjoy your new hobby
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Last edited by CharlieB on Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
JKno

Post by JKno »

Same boat... 32 years off for myself. Just started back 8 weeks ago. I had a couple of people say "it'll come back"... They LIE! It's like starting from scratch... lol.
Best of luck on your journey back, mine has been fun so far!
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Not to discourage anyone but it took me two years to get back to where I was after a long lay off. The good news: I continue to improve after 25 years spent playing. The key is to not stay frustrated.
Last edited by OneTon on Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
afugate

Post by afugate »

I encourage you to find a teacher to work with you on your range. Probably the best investment someone returning to the horn can make.

--Andy in OKC
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

Thank you all for your thoughts. All points well taken. It is so much fun to play, even the klinkers frustrate and make me smile( or wince ). A lot of sentimentality about the joys of my youth has been rekindled
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

No less than a miracle. Just received my Denis Wick 5ABL. First crack E's and F's came out! And a marvelous velvety tone in all ranges. Air felt like it was flowing straight through the horn. I must be delusional. Can't wait to see what happens in tomorrow's playing.
heinamj

Post by heinamj »

How do you like the Wick 5ABL after more than a month?

I just got a 5ABL last week for my own comeback on a King 5B from '76 and I think I really like it. Don't quite have the upper range I did with my 6 1/2 AL but it's mostly there. But it has a more solid low register, a very comfortable rim, and wonderful tone... so I think it will be my new primary... first mouthpiece I ever bought!

I also still have the Schilke 60 my last teacher gave me when I got the used '78 Duo Gravis Silver Sonic to match his back in the early 80's.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Equipment is important. Knowing how to use it is even more important. But bad equipment can be impossible to work around.

None of this comeback chops stuff is about "believing" or "just practice, it'll come back". Brass playing is just knowing how to set your chops and to send air into the horn. Equipment that fits helps you do that. The rest is a combination of your knowledge of the system, your health, and your vision. Instead of "just practice more" I'd say, "take notes on what your chops are doing, and try out different ways of sending the air in until it works. Don't practice a mechanic that doesn't work, you'll just get better at inefficient playing."
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Of the million pieces of advice one could offer, one of the best I can think of is to get some time in on the horn every day.

Missing a day usually means at least 2-3 days to get back to where you were (unless you are already a monster player).
If you don't have the time to do a full practice session, don't make yourself crazy, but at least get in 5 minutes to just play anything you like in the middle register. A tune or 2, some long tones, whatever.

This will help keep your chops from backsliding (pun intended).
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

Surprising with 5ABL, worked great, but I stepped up my practicing......and mindfulness....then received a gold 4AL and it sounds wonderful right off the bat. My tentative conclusion is practice and persistence and attitude has trumped(sic) mouthpiece choices. But I got this sack of mouthpieces as a souvenir.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I would add to the "practice every day" advice.

Play some at least twice every day, and preferably 3 times. Even if it's just a few minutes or a few notes.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
trose02

Post by trose02 »

I'm in the same boat. Started back in early Sep 2022 after a multi-decade layoff.
My advice. Get a teacher and practice, practice, practice.

I've usually resorted to a King 2B for upper register work but I'm starting to pop out the high Bb and C on a Bach 42B w a 6.5 AM mouthpiece, and you'll be doing the same shortly on your 4B.
Probably don't NEED a tenor horn unless you WANT a tenor horn.

One of the most useful pieces of advice given to me was as follows:

"Practice - it's not about how long it's about how often."

Just a thought.
Hope this helps, welcome back.
- T.
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

My difficulty in the high range is endurance. When I pick up the horn cold and blow gently I'm good to the C, but after just a short time playing I tend to wimp out at the A. My teacher recommended long tones to strengthen my embouchure up there. Take a deep breath, play a comfortably high note (I start on the F) at a moderate volume, and hold it until you're out of air. Rest for a moment, take another deep breath, go up a half step in pitch, rinse and repeat. Continue until your chops fail and then move on to something else. Making this part of my warm-up routine has helped to improve both my range (I'm usually good now to the the D on a cold start and the Bb thereafter) and my endurance (my chops last much longer before wimping out on the high stuff.)
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

I bought the little Getzen jazz horn with the Kanstul copper bell offered here recently. It weighs nothing, immediately took off the stress in my head, shoulders and lips. Very sweet, unforced sounds coming out. My first horn with a screw in lead pipe. So much better control right from my lips, very intimate. It sounds like the late, great Glenn Miller, of course he has long since lost his chops. I'm just the Lyft driver on the horn. Ready for my entrance, Mr. Demille.
cobbU2

Post by cobbU2 »

I’m reading this thread with intense interest, I’m going to jump back in after a fleeting 41-year pause. When I stopped I was in college playing bass parts with the ubiquitous 88H, and looking for something like it, but less pricey.

Once in hand, I plan on getting lessons… I have a feeling it’ll be like starting over!

Cheers,
Allan
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

cobbU2 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:43 pm I’m reading this thread with intense interest, I’m going to jump back in after a fleeting 41-year pause. When I stopped I was in college playing bass parts with the ubiquitous 88H, and looking for something like it, but less pricey.
If you like the 88H, good used models are often available at decent prices, There's nothing quite like them. Look around - you may find a gem!
dbwhitaker

Post by dbwhitaker »

Starting to play again after a multi-decade break seems to be more common than I would have expected. Or maybe it's just that everyone who does it finds their way to this site. I started again 3 years ago after a 40 year break. A number of others have mentioned similar paths.
chuckcox

Post by chuckcox »

Played religiously from 1971-1983 in school and college, with some lesser pro gigs (I did get paid!) up to about 1985-1986, but pretty well put it up for over 20 years afterward. I'd leave it out, on the stand, and occasionally pick it up, but couldn't really call it practice! In 2008, my uncle died, and my cousin came calling (he and his wife are both part-time pros in Nashville, and he knew that I used to play; although, if he had known what "used to play" actually meant, he might not have called!). His dad's favorite song was "Fly Me to the Moon/In Other Words", and he wanted to gather family and friends to play it at the funeral. He was using Nestico's arrangement for Frank Sinatra, and I knew the chart from the 70's, so I told him I'd do my best. Had 3-4 days to try to get my chops back, but that was it! Surprisingly, I had played just enough to maintain a pretty good tone and sound, but my technique was shot. I did better than I ever thought I would, but not nearly good enough to really feel proud. Now, it's 15 years later, and I haven't really played since then! I'm nearing retirement age, and I, too, would like to get re-acquainted with my horn. Would really like to find a local group, such as a civic orchestra/Pops band. Live in metro Atlanta, near Newnan (SW side of Atlanta), and would like to ease back into it. If anyone knows of any groups/opportunities like I noted, please respond. Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to “News & Announcements”