Hello!

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
Drombone

Hello!

Post by Drombone »

I can't see a better forum than this for introductions, but please move it it there is one.

<stands>
Hi.

I'm Drombone, and I'm a trombonaholic.
<sits>

I'm glad I found here, I've been a bit lost since TTF went south. I am at heart a musician, but made the decision at 16 that it was easier to be a professional doctor and and amateur trombonist than the other way round. And it has been, I think. I suspect I would have started in the Army Music Services and ended up teaching. Knowing now how much I hate teaching, I think I made the right choice.

Stewbones43 was my first trombone teacher. He took one look at me aged 12, playing the trumpet, told me I was playing the wrong instrument and handed me a trombone. 4 years later, I got grade 8 with distinction and the year after applied successfully for medical school, and the NYO; Derek Bourgeois auditioned me and wrote me the nicest rejection letter - "although your playing was of a high enough standard, experience has taught me that medical students need to dedicate their time to their university course and so I will. sadly, have to not invite you to play with the NYO"

nearly 40 years later... I'm still playing. Gave up with brass bands - treble clef for one, politics for two and generally %&^tty musicianship for 3. Very happy now playing with 2 concert bands, one of which is packed with ex-RAF musicians, and the other I 'm co-1st with ex Royal Marines principal trombone; a small but locally successful big band; and my main love is playing in the pit for the most wonderful youth theatre group, through which I've enjoyed Sister Act, Chicago, Evita, Betty Blue Eyes and Hairspray.

I had a long time off playing, about 15 years. I started from scratch again. And that actually did me some good. I was, I had to be very critical of my playing. my ear's better, my technique's better; but my lip's not what it was in my teens, So what?

I still love playing. To my shame, I only have 3 proper trombones, so I can't compete with some of you. But, hey, it's not what you've got, it's what you do with it.
OneTon

Re: Hello!

Post by OneTon »

Welcome to trombone chat. You can only play one trombone at a time.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

OneTon wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:52 pm Welcome to trombone chat. You can only play one trombone at a time.
Not quite so. Look at Jacob Garchik's avatar :tongue:

Drombone, welcome. I think 3 good quality instruments is more than enough for most of us. In fact, sometimes only one decent instrument is enough, depending on what you do with it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Hi Nick,

Good to see you have joined the "Chat"

We haven't made contact since before the pandemic but, as you are a GP, I assume you have been rather busy and not had much time to play any of your 3 trombones. You might be able to put is some more time on the mouthpiece and get back to where you were. I took the opportunity to do loads of playing at home and things have actually improved because of it.

Back doing some local playing again and just waiting for the Mike Westbrook band to restart. We had a planned gig at Ronnie Scott's postponed twice because of Covid but it is scheduled for April 2022.

Will talk again soon.

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass

Return to “News & Announcements”