American Trombone Workshop 2021

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
jeremyesmith

American Trombone Workshop 2021

Post by jeremyesmith »

Hi All,

Has there been any word on the American Trombone Workshop for 2021? Their website, for a while now, says a virtual one-day event in early March (which starts next week).

https://www.usarmyband.com/trombone/

Thanks for any help!

Jeremy
Jeremy Smith
Founder/Editor - www.lastrowmusic.com
Bass Trombone - Huntington Symphony Orchestra
Low Brass Professor - Ohio Wesleyan University, Kenyon College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
timothy42b

Re: American Trombone Workshop 2021

Post by timothy42b »

I've been checking it every day too. I'll have to take a day off work and need to give the boss some notice.
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

Hope there will be a seminar this year - even if it is just a one-day virtual event. Either way, I'll miss the college trombone choirs and vendors.

In the meantime, I enjoyed the US Army Band Trombone Choir version of the 1812 Overture; released yesterday. If you missed it, look here:

Be sure to watch to the end!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

TriJim wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:39 am Hope there will be a seminar this year - even if it is just a one-day virtual event. Either way, I'll miss the college trombone choirs and vendors.

In the meantime, I enjoyed the US Army Band Trombone Choir version of the 1812 Overture; released yesterday. If you missed it, look here:

Be sure to watch to the end!

Wow! Some impressive playing! Especially at the top and bottom ends. Kudos to the guy playing the altissimo lines on a tenor!
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
MBurner

Post by MBurner »

Hi All,

To answer some questions, the plan is to have ATW in the second or third full week of March. Due to recording work that is currently ongoing, the date has not yet been set in stone or website. Please stay tuned to our website at https://www.usarmyband.com/trombone/ for information in the coming days. There will be some great guest artists and virtual performances, so I hope many of you are able to virtually attend.

To acknowledge the 1812 recording, the full roster is made up of members of the Ceremonial trombone section of Pershing’s. SSG Kyle Peck did the Herculean job of arranging the work, and it was a blast to put together.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Great 1812! It's funny how you get a new appreciation for pieces like that which get overplayed so much if you play in an orchestra, when you hear a trombone version! Fantastic playing to go with a fine arrangement!

Jim Scott
kingsk1117

Post by kingsk1117 »

Is the 1812 arrangement potentially available for purchase?
MBurner

Post by MBurner »

Hi Kingsk117,

You can find the arrangement available for purchase here.
https://sellfy.com/ilan-morgenstern/p/t ... one-choir/

Thanks to Ilan’s site, a huge amount of the payment finds its way to the composer/arranger.
As someone who’s played 1812 many times in the orchestra, this is worth the time to purchase and play with some friends, colleagues, or with students. I know my colleagues and I had a blast working it up and recording it.

For those concerned about ATW, still expect a date in the next few days. We just recorded with the best guest artist anyone could ask for...
kingsk1117

Post by kingsk1117 »

Thanks so much for the link. The video is so much more fun to watch when reading the score along with it. Wow!
MBurner

Post by MBurner »

Hi All,

For those still waiting on when ATW will take place, we have had to push our date to early April. Please stay tuned to our website at https://www.usarmyband.com/workshops/th ... e-workshop
It will be well worth the wait, and hopefully many of you will be able to virtually attend!
jeremyesmith

Post by jeremyesmith »

FYI - ATW has scheduled a date.

Saturday, April 3rd.

https://www.usarmyband.com/workshops/th ... e-workshop
Jeremy Smith
Founder/Editor - www.lastrowmusic.com
Bass Trombone - Huntington Symphony Orchestra
Low Brass Professor - Ohio Wesleyan University, Kenyon College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Technical difficulties? I've been watching since 0900, still nothing.

I even ran a cable to listen wired rather than put up with wifi slowing down later on like some years.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

timothy42b wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:29 am Technical difficulties? I've been watching since 0900, still nothing.

I even ran a cable to listen wired rather than put up with wifi slowing down later on like some years.
Nope, operator error. My daughter explained (patiently, and only a little condescendingly) to me that going to the Event was not the same as being on the ATW page where the videos were playing, and I missed the warmup thinking I was waiting for it to start.

I've been back and forth multiple times and can't see how I was supposed to figure out how to get where I needed to be. I know I'm really old but have you ever looked at the age distribution in the seats at Bruckner hall? Bimodal with peaks at 15 and 70.

I'm listening to a bit of the solo. My goodness those kids are good! Hope I can catch the Harry Watters at 1100 but suspect the probability is only about 25%, unless my daughter consents to help again.
tmarco97

Post by tmarco97 »

Nope, it definitely was a little unclear. I couldn't figure it out either, but I decided to go to the ATW page and found it on there.
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

The 0900 warm-up was excellent and they include the lead sheet as a download. Good quality audio and video and it is already available for review on the American Trombone Workshop Facebook page. Worth a look/listen. Thanks Army Band/Army Trombones/ATW.

Return to “News & Announcements”