Live Stream Recital Tonight!

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
WilliamLang

Live Stream Recital Tonight!

Post by WilliamLang »

Hey all!

I'm happy to presenting a lie stream recital tonight with some premieres (and a little something for everyone, new music wise.) You'll get a brand new book of Etudes, some drone pieces, some pretty stuff, and possibly the most intense piece I've ever played, Compression by Jason Eckardt. Starts at 7:30 pm EST if all the tech goes well!

Alice Jones - Etudes for Trombone (world premiere)
Benjamin Sabey - Grotto (world premiere)
Heather Stebbins/William Lang - what i am not
Jason Eckardt - compression
Eve Beglarian - Testy Pony

https://calendar.ecu.edu/event/nc_newmu ... BMOjS2ZMWo
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Cliff

Re: Live Stream Recital Tonight!

Post by Cliff »

Thank you William...great recital!
PVH

Post by PVH »

William,

Thanks for sharing this link! The link is still working so I got to enjoy the entire recital today.

I had just purchased Alice Jones’s wonderful etude book so it was especially great to hear all of them played.

Fantastic performance!
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

Thank you both so much for listening!

The Alice Jones Etudes are wonderful - I asked her to write them in the style of the French etude books and she delivered 150%! All very challenging at the highest level, and with a ton of style to boot. I really believe they are recital worthy.

Oh and there's options for tenor, bass, and alto throughout the book. Since everyone has to double or triple these days we thought it would be best to acknowledge all the instruments in one book.

https://www.alicehjones.com/etudes-for-trombonists.html
William Lang
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
www.williamlang.org
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

William,

I am so bummed that I missed your recital. I didn't see the announcement last week. I did purchase and download the Alice Jones Etudes though.....thank you for commissioning the project. Looking forward to working on them tomorrow!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

Thanks Brian! I think this link is still live for the archived recording, if you were so interested. After Alice's Etudes the pieces turn more towards the experimental end of the spectrum, for what it's worth. Hope you have fun with Alice's pieces, I know I did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TcJZ265s8Q&t=1067s
William Lang
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
www.williamlang.org
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

William.....thank you for providing that link to your performance. You do outstanding work and I appreciate how you are actively pursuing new literature and new directions for the trombone. Being that I now have the music for the Alice Jones Etudes, I was obviously able to follow along as you played. You did a very fine job on the etudes and I (especially as a trombonist) very much respect what you are doing. Your performance has inspired me to work on the etudes. I only wish that I had the music in front of me for the remainder of your recital! I'm sure it would help me appreciate your skill level even more.

While watching your recital, I kept thinking of some threads that were recently active on TromboneChat. On the threads, some (not all) contributors were arguing two things: 1. There is not any compelling literature that has been written for trombone. 2. Not much quality literature has been written for the trombone in the (choose a time-span) 25, 50 or 100 years.

I think if people listen with an open mind to performances like yours, they will think otherwise. The "Compression" piece alone was an emotional experience for me. After your explanation of the composition's inspiration, I was with you 100%.....clinging to the pitch F was just like clinging to life itself. Very profound stuff.

Keep up the great work!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

Thank you so much Brian!

I also want to highlight that Jason Eckardt's Compression was a co-commission with fellow trombone forum member Matthew Barbier, who is also very active in commissioning exciting new repertoire for all of us. Definitely check him out if you're feeling inspired and open!
William Lang
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
www.williamlang.org
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

thank you, Will! I really appreciate that! I'm excited to check this show out!

Jay's piece is a real excercise in staying relaxed as your entire body clings on as best it can! it's a huge journey on a lot of levels!

hope you're well, man! speaking of journeys... pandemic parenting is one!
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/

Return to “News & Announcements”