Favorite replacement valves on a Bach 50

ttf_connman93

Post by ttf_connman93 »

Hi all,

I'm likely adding a Bach 50 to the stable and I'm looking at purchasing used and replacing the valves. What replacement valves are your favorites on a 50? At this point, I have a very open mind for any options.

Thanks!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

For years the Thayer was the usual replacement.  They used to sell an inline kit (valves and tubing) for around $1200 which your tech would just put in to replace the F-attachment.

Nowadays there are more choices than you can test.  Rotax, CR, Hagmann, Meinschmitt just to name a few.

Nearly anything will be an improvement over the undersized Bach valve.  I remember one colleague who replaced the Bach valves with a double dependent (F/flat E) from a Reynolds with the forward pointing loop on the F-side.
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I bet the new Olsen ball bearing rotor would be nice if you want to keep with a traditional type rotor.  I love the ball bearing axials.
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Lots of options.  I know you like the blow of your Thayers... you won't get that from anything else.  If I were to be in that market again, I would probably buy a set of the infinity style with bearings or a shires set.  Advantage with the shires set, you could even find some used and save a couple of bucks.

You could also go the rotor direction.  Lotsa love for the CR rotors, but there is plenty of competition with M&W, rotax, and now the instrument innovations guys as well.

For fun, consider the trubore direction.  This is my current favorite, I have them on my Bach 45 and a Holton flared frankenbeast (I use a 50 slide and a 50 tuning slide, does that make it mostly Bach?) .  Similar openness as the Thayer, but just a bit more refined.  Maybe loses a little bit on the top end string section burial meter, but overall a better feel for me.  I've been meaning to make these interchangeable with my Thayers and 50 flare, but just haven't had the time to move that stupid main diamond flange.

For all conversions, I hate the Bach handslide receiver.  I prefer the Edwards or shires parts that are a little shorter.  I just like that geometry better and I think things line up better that way.  Maybe I'm screwing these horns up, but I like them more now.

You're welcome to come over and blow any you want from my collection and see what I've done to make them fit, you know where I'm at.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_connman93

Post by ttf_connman93 »

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the detailed reply, Andy. I'm leaning more towards an improved rotor although I'm trying a 50 with the Infinity valves and quite like it. Thayer type valves are just so heavy.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

I would go Thayers. Bachs work so well with them. I currently play a bach with hagmanns and Edwards slide. The valves are great, but I definitely miss having thayer valves. They just make low register playing so easy.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Thayers and Bachs are like peanut butter and jelly.

The new Olsen axials are especially good. Hit up Benn Hansson if you have questions about them.
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

I also hear the Olsen ball-bearing rotors are nice.  I'm hoping you all will join with me and unofficially dub these new valves OFV.  Olsen Fancy-Valve.

Just for fun, go with OFVs.
ttf_Nathan Wood

Post by ttf_Nathan Wood »

+1 for replacing the Bach handslide receiver with a shorter one... I had this done to accommodate my Shires slide and the horn just plays better. Centers better throughout, responds slightly better in the valve register, and contributed to bringing the pitch up (was super flat out of the factory and I had a little over a half inch cut off of the tuning slide already) so I can have more wiggle room for very sharp groups, and the threads still fit the original Bach slide. I don't understand the mechanics of why this worked but I'm very happy with the results.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

If you end up going with Thayers, you should talk to Bill Milashius at Dynamic Machine up here in Minnesota.

I had him build an assembly for my 42 and my tech installed it. Best thayer setup I've tried hands down. Had a friend install a Bass assembly on his Corp. 50, and it's stupid good.

Bill is an ace machinist, and the stuff he does with these valves aren't done by others. He even owns a lot of Mr. Thayer's equipment that he bought from the estate. The valve responds immediately like a rotor, but all the attractive qualities of a traditional Thayer. If you're not in a hurry, it's your best bet. PM me if you have more questions.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

If you end up going with Thayers, you should talk to Bill Milashius at Dynamic Machine up here in Minnesota.

I had him build an assembly for my 42 and my tech installed it. Best thayer setup I've tried hands down. Had a friend install a Bass assembly on his Corp. 50, and it's stupid good.

Bill is an ace machinist, and the stuff he does with these valves aren't done by others. He even owns a lot of Mr. Thayer's equipment that he bought from the estate. The valve responds immediately like a rotor, but all the attractive qualities of a traditional Thayer. If you're not in a hurry, it's your best bet. PM me if you have more questions.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”