WTB: Lightweight bass tbn case

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
Gribnes

WTB: Lightweight bass tbn case

Post by Gribnes » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:12 am

Wanted to buy reasonably lightweight bass tbn case (soft or hard). 9.5" bell.
Jerry Hyman (Gribnes) jerryhyman1@mac.com
tbathras

Re: WTB: Lightweight bass tbn case

Post by tbathras » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:35 am

The lightest, while also being strong, one I found is the Protec Max. It’s around $100, maybe a little more. It fit my Shires bass just fine. It was lighter than my Eastman by a good bit, and way lighter than a Protec ProPac or iPac. Comes with integrated backpack straps, too.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 am

Gribnes wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:12 am
Wanted to buy reasonably lightweight bass tbn case (soft or hard). 9.5" bell.
Jerry Hyman (Gribnes) jerryhyman1@mac.com
Any more criteria? Budget?

Post by ghmerrill » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:24 pm

This may seem like a silly suggestion. On the other hand, it may be worth a look. :shock:

If you want to go with real economy, take a look at the Schiller/Laabs cases:

http://www.jimlaabsmusicstore.com/store ... ne-case-2/

https://www.jimlaabsmusicstore.com/stor ... bone-case/

The one that came with my Schiller bass trombone is very light, but rigid, and very protective. I've had it for coming up on 3 years, and it's showing no sign of wear. Very useable back straps. A few times I thought of getting a "better" case to replace it, but when I looked at the details of what's available I couldn't convince myself that I could do any better in terms of the function and protection it provides. Compared to my Protec euphonium case, the Schiller bass trombone case seems at least as good -- and is much more protective. Honestly, at this point, if something on it wears out, I'll probably just buy another one.

I don't know if the one in the link above will hold the 9 1/2" bass, but it LOOKS just like mine. If you're interested, you might give them a call and see if it will hold the horn you have.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb Bass tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)
Gribnes

Post by Gribnes » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:03 am

Thanks all for direction. I just saw that Pro-Tec Max is releasing a BsTbn case 5/3 for $130. and have inquired to jimlaabs about fit..
tbathras

Post by tbathras » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:37 am

Gribnes wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:03 am
Thanks all for direction. I just saw that Pro-Tec Max is releasing a BsTbn case 5/3 for $130. and have inquired to jimlaabs about fit..
The Protec Max is already available for bass trombone: https://www.dillonmusic.com/protec-bass ... black.html and it's only $105 at Dillon.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:50 am

That Pro-Tec Max looks a LOT like a somewhat improved version of my Schiller case. And the price is very good.

Just from eyeballing the pictures on the Protec site and knowing the details of my Schiller case, I'd say the obvious differences appear to be:
  • The Max has a LONG exterior pocket, and the Schiller has a short one. Some people will like the larger exterior pocket and use it. I prefer the shorter one, in part because I have a separate bag (actually a World Tour percussion bag) that I carry all my extra junk in (mute(s). seat cushion, stand, stand light, batteries, lubes, tuner, cloth for draining water valve, music, ...).
  • The "subway handle" (handle on the end of the case) on the Max appears to be long and thin. The one on the Schiller is short (more like a case handle, broad, and padded. I prefer the one on the Schiller, I think. It provides a lot of control and doesn't get in the way. On the other hand, it looks as though the ends of the strap on the Max may be anchored better (though I haven't had any problems).
  • On the Max, the back straps will fit nicely inside their own zippered pocket, flat and out of the way. On the Schiller, there's no flap, but they do detach easily. As a matter of practice, I just leave them on since I used them whenever I take the horn away from home. I REALLY like how the Schiller fits on my back and out of my way. I assume this is true of the Max as well.
So the Max looks like it provides the same sort of excellent protection as the Schiller -- possibly with a bit higher quality (these things are probably all made in roughly the same place under roughly the same QA attention). And I do like Protec cases in general (though for my Eb tuba I prefer the Gard I have). For $105, the Max seems like a good deal.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb Bass tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)
tbathras

Post by tbathras » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 am

I loved my Max. Only reason I don’t still have it is because the iPac can accommodate my bass with my hagmann handrest still installed. But I don’t use that any more, so I may well get a Max again. Also, the exterior pocket on the Max will fit a K&M 14990 stand.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
Gribnes

Post by Gribnes » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Max ordered from Dillon....and done...thanks lads!

Return to “(Classifieds) Cases”