FS- Griego-Bousfield "3" series, matched set - $180

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed; caveat emptor.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
harrisonreed

FS- Griego-Bousfield "3" series, matched set - $180

Post by harrisonreed » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:23 pm

For sale is my matched set of Griego-Bousfield "3" series mouthpieces. I'm asking for $180 for the pair, which includes shipping. Or $100 each individually. A fantastic deal, as they are in like-new condition. Let me tell you about the mouthpieces, and forget about the manufacturer description:

The "3" series share nearly the same rim, both are about a 2G size diameter, and they both have the same rim width (distance from inner rim to outer rim), which is actually pretty wide and comfy. The rim contour is unique, and I think it was inspired by the Lindberg mouthpiece design, except that it was made wider and more rounded because we all know about how the thin Lindberg rim works for most people... This Bousfield rim takes the advantages you get from the "bite" of the Lindberg rim, and gets rid of the disadvantages of the super thinness of it. You'll also notice, because it is rounded, that the rim width seemingly increases if you use more pressure, and decreases as you back off. This makes it extremely flexible.

Where the two mouthpieces differ in the rim is in the entrance angle into the cup. The V3 is pretty shallow, and the O3 is similar to like a 4G or the Alessi C cup. So even though the CNC cuts the rims to the exact same size and shape, once it enters the cup the O3 will feel bigger.

These mouthpieces are both very easy to play, and I believe that the backbore design in both versions forces the player to play efficiently. Here are the details for each one individually:

Bousfield V3:

This mouthpiece is wonderful for extended practicing or recitals. It plays unlike any mouthpiece I've tried, and I think this comes down to two factors. First, the cup is sort of a double-cup design where the majority of the cup is shallow and the entrance to the throat is pretty huge and gradual. This means that the targets for both the upper and lower registers are large and we'll defined. Efficient.

The second factor is the backbore -- it is relatively tight and ends in a bevel or chamfer that effectively eliminates the step between the shank and the leadpipe. This allows for extremely smooth and fluid lip slurs, and the backbore keeps the player from trying to overblow everything. The trade-off is that I, at least, was not able to put the huge volume of sound that I seem to be asked for more and more in the large ensembles I play in. Not a problem in the lesson room or the recital hall!

If you want a mouthpiece that gives you access to the entire register, lots of flexibility, and extra endurance for a long recital, this is the mouthpiece for you.
DSC_0640.JPG
DSC_0640.JPG (2.36 MiB) Viewed 366 times
DSC_0641.JPG
DSC_0641.JPG (2.37 MiB) Viewed 366 times
You can see the chamfering in the end of the V3 shank, eliminating the step into the leadpipe.
DSC_0639.JPG
DSC_0639.JPG (2.2 MiB) Viewed 366 times
Last edited by harrisonreed on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
harrisonreed

Re: FS- Griego-Bousfield "3" series, matched set - $225

Post by harrisonreed » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:24 pm

DSC_0642.JPG
DSC_0642.JPG (2.54 MiB) Viewed 365 times
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 pm

The O3 backbore is just as efficient as the V3, but the deeper cup gives a broader sound that blends easily in the trombone section. It is also extremely easy to switch to from the V3, as they feel very similar on the face.

Because the cup is your traditional bowl shape, you don't get the easy target in the upper register, but instead you get a nice, complex, broad sound.

Again, this is great if you want to blend into your trombone section but you're having trouble with endurance during a long concert. The trade off for efficiency is that I had trouble playing FFFF, which could be great for people always getting the hand from their conductor.
DSC_0645.JPG
DSC_0645.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 364 times
DSC_0644.JPG
DSC_0644.JPG (2.04 MiB) Viewed 364 times
DSC_0643.JPG
DSC_0643.JPG (2.04 MiB) Viewed 364 times
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 pm

DSC_0646.JPG
DSC_0646.JPG (2.56 MiB) Viewed 364 times
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:55 am

$200 for the set? I'm open to offers too.
harrisonreed

Re: FS- Griego-Bousfield "3" series, matched set - $190

Post by harrisonreed » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:59 pm

$190 for the set, $100 each
harrisonreed

Re: FS- Griego-Bousfield "3" series, matched set - $180

Post by harrisonreed » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:43 pm

$180 for the set, $100 each.

Return to “(Classifieds) Mouthpieces”