FS: Shires Bronze Valve Cap $75

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed; caveat emptor.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
tombone21

FS: Shires Bronze Valve Cap $75

Post by tombone21 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Bought this new from the Shires factory and found it to be quite nice, I'm just going in a different direction with my playing these days. This is the same cap that's used on the Alessi models. I, however, had to be different and ordered mine in raw bronze and with no engraving. A patina is already starting to form and I think it looks quite nice. This is a nice way to try out if you like a bit more copperish material in your setup without changing a larger part on the instrument. These are $100 new from the factory, I'm selling mine for $75 plus a couple bucks for shipping or best offer. PM or email me at turich210 at gmail dot com
Thanks!

tombone21

Re: FS: Shires Bronze Valve Cap $75

Post by tombone21 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:30 am

Bump! Transform your sound now!
tombone21

Post by tombone21 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:45 am

Anotha day, anotha bump.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:24 am

tombone21 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:30 am
Could you please explain how this will "transform your sound"? I'm familiar with heavy weight valve caps versus regular weight but different valve cap material not so much.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:00 pm

WGWTR180 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:24 am
tombone21 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:30 am
Could you please explain how this will "transform your sound"? I'm familiar with heavy weight valve caps versus regular weight but different valve cap material not so much.
Simple maths really my friend! Bronze is an alloy similar to a combination of gold brass and nickel silver, so take off a piece of yellow brass and swap it out with gold brass and nickel, the sound will change a bit, just like it would if any other part on the instrument were swapped out.

The Bronze cap is also noticeably lighter than the yellow brass cap, so factor that in as well.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:07 pm

Is the "sound transformation" from a brass to a (slightly) lighter bronze calve cap audible to the audience, or only apparent to the trombonist?

Has this difference be validated? If so, what is the effect? How significant is it? :idk:
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:20 pm

tombone21 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:00 pm
WGWTR180 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:24 am

Simple maths really my friend! Bronze is an alloy similar to a combination of gold brass and nickel silver, so take off a piece of yellow brass and swap it out with gold brass and nickel, the sound will change a bit, just like it would if any other part on the instrument were swapped out.

The Bronze cap is also noticeably lighter than the yellow brass cap, so factor that in as well.
Well I don't think it's math but... The lighter cap will make more of a difference than the alloy. Thanks.
johnjenkins

Post by johnjenkins » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:41 pm

Definitely not math.

Bronze is copper + tin (along with trace amounts of other elements).

I agree with Bill on the weight being a greater factor. I've found the weight of a valve cap to make a difference. Adding 30g of weight to my valve cap (A friend made brass washers for me to slip under my valve cap) made a noticeable difference to the feel (centering) and sound (denser/more weighted from behind the bell) in an A/B test with multiple repetitions.

My observations:
No valve cap - hollow sound and poor low trigger register sound
Valve cap - good sound overall
Valve cap with washers - the horn sounded heavier and response was noticeably better with trigger engaged

I have not had the chance to play for others to get their objective opinion. However, I tried my very best to be unbiased in my many trials.
Last edited by johnjenkins on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:49 pm

I saw a Shires video this summer - maybe an interview with Joe? I've seen several Shires TV videos anyway recently. The techs from Shires were saying that they tried the Bronze valve cap in the development stage while designing the new model for Joe. They found that it added some color to the sound that Joe and the various Shires techs all felt was a positive difference. Probably not night and day, and there are a lot of small add ons on instruments offered nowadays that make subtle differences. Not really a "provable" thing.

Jim Scott
johnjenkins

Post by johnjenkins » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:53 pm

CalgaryTbone wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:49 pm
Not really a "provable" thing.

Jim Scott
Perhaps through analysis of wave form?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:24 pm

johnjenkins wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:53 pm
CalgaryTbone wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:49 pm
Not really a "provable" thing.

Jim Scott
Perhaps through analysis of wave form?
A lot of noise in the signal. I'm not sure even Fourier Transform analysis may be able to show the difference.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:30 pm

I'm not sure that anyone makes decisions about their instruments or the various components based on some kind of machine-based experiment. It is interesting information, but this is an art and not a science. I know that I make my choices based on how it sounds and feels to me, and feedback from colleagues that I feel have really good "ears" and can listen to back to back comparisons and comment on the differences they hear with an "informed" opinion. This practice has served me well over the years.

Jim Scott
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:37 pm

We have the eternal dichotomy playing out here. On one side we have the Techies, who think that once we get the definitive analytical device we can replicate any desirable property (except we don't have that device yet, and it's far over the horizon). On the other side we have the sensors, who claim they can hear the difference. Some are subject to placebo effects.

We aren't going to resolve that here any time soon. It's like my father used to say to clients getting jewelry appraisals: "If you like it, it's good. Wear it."
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
johnjenkins

Post by johnjenkins » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 pm

I don't think it's anything that needs to be resolved, per se. It's just two different sides of the same analytical coin, and there's a certain validity to both.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:16 pm

Price drop now $65 come and get it
tombone21

Post by tombone21 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:42 pm

$55 or trade for a strobe clip tuner
tombone21

Re: FS: Shires Bronze Valve Cap

Post by tombone21 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:13 pm

Name your price see if I care