Morbid thought: who will play my horns after I'm gone?

Spin your yarns here.
timothy42b

Morbid thought: who will play my horns after I'm gone?

Post by timothy42b »

Okay, I'm not that close to the end, only 65 and in great health.

But still. There are a number of instruments in the basement that none of my family will ever play, and when I pass somebody will have to do something with them.

They may be sold cheap at a yard sale, or even tossed into a dumpster.

Maybe I need to leave instructions to donate them all to the local school. If schools still have bands by that time! <smiley>
Kingfan

Re: Morbid thought: who will play my horns after I'm gone?

Post by Kingfan »

My plan is to sell off my arsenal of trombones slowly once my playing slows down, but my wife told me if I croaked suddenly she would have no idea what to do with them. There is a local music repair shop I trust that sells on consignment, and today I will tell her if something happens to drop them off there if I hadn't made any other arrangements. That, or give her Greenbean's contact info!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Get buried wiffem!
cigmar

Post by cigmar »

Will them to me!!
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

'Death Cleaning' - not just our trombones, but all of our 'chit.'

Just finished reading: 'The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and Your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter', by Magnusson, Margareta.

Food for thought!
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I like the idea of decluttering. My inspiration is twofold. First - my mother in law left a wet basement full of stuff, 95% of it or more junk and water damaged. It took months to clear it out. The other inspiration is my friend, a WWII vet, who moved into a veteran's home. He had a house, and now lives in what is basically a dorm room. THAT'S downsizing! I was honored that he chose me to get his 50s 3B before he moved. When I retired, I went through my home office and got rid of a lot of work related stuff I thought I would never use. Six months later, I did it again and cleaned out even more. I sold off my now-unused PA equipment, and it felt great. We donate stuff regularly to Habitat for Humanity. I have a closet full of business casual clothes I no longer wear, and will be sorting through and donating what I don't need to charity.
Greg Songer
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

I've written a note for my wife of a few good resources of where to take the good ones (Brassark and some friends). I'm only concerned that the really nice unique pieces I have do not get destroyed or lost to history. There are only so many Fuch's for example.

A similar thought from the world of classic cars:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... lassic-car

Cheers,
Andy
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I figure when I hit 60, I will start looking around for someone in their 30's or 40's to take on my collection (and the website, assuming it's still up and running).
blast

Post by blast »

I have cars and trombones.....
The cars will go to by boys...simple... three cars... two boys... well, they can work that out.
The trombones.... as leno says, not really my problem. One of my oldest friends died a couple of years ago... when he first became ill, I agreed to sell his stuff on when the time came... profits to the charity of his choice. The time came and I did the deed, I bought his daily drivers myself as I could not think of them in random hands... they play on.
My stuff.... we will see... whatever, I won't know how it turns out.

Chris
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

JohnL wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:33 pm I figure when I hit 60, I will start looking around for someone in their 30's or 40's to take on my collection (and the website, assuming it's still up and running).
Hell, I'm 61 and have two toy cars and five pro quality trombones. It'll be along time before I start divesting! My most recent acquisition was from a guy who was 92 or older. He could play still, but used a walker and couldn't make it around well enough to go to rehearsals and carry his horn.
Greg Songer
Zandit75

Post by Zandit75 »

Luckily, I don't have that issue with my Trombone, it has been supplied by the community band I play with. What a local community band would be doing with a Shires Custom Bass is any one's guess, but I'm not going to argue!!

My Guitars on the other hand, that is a scary thought!
afugate

Post by afugate »

What's the old joke?

When I die, I hope my wife sells my fishing (umm... trombone) equipment for what I paid for it and not what I told her I paid for it! :horror:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

--Andy in OKC
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Kingfan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:38 pmHell, I'm 61 and have two toy cars and five pro quality trombones. It'll be along time before I start divesting!
I'll keep my players for as long as I can play, but the collection? It's really more of a private museum at this point, so finding someone I can trust who is willing and able to take it on will probably take a while. It basically takes up a small bedroom in our house (which means that whoever takes it will need to have a very understanding spouse/partner). I'm afraid that if I donate it to a museum, most, if not all, of it will end up forgotten in a storage facility somewhere.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

JohnL wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:33 pm I figure when I hit 60, I will start looking around for someone in their 30's or 40's to take on my collection (and the website, assuming it's still up and running).
:good:

John,

Your stuff and info is too valuable to allow it to disappear!
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

Since I am in the business of death and resurrection, I have considered this topic quite frequently. I have told my wife that if something happens to me, contact my musical friends who know what my current collection is worth and then sell the horns. I plan to play as much and as long as possible but know too many stories of people who died much sooner than they or their family expected.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Yes, as I'm getting older I have thought of this. My children will have to sell my stuff after I'm gone and they have no clue where to go and what's worth. I have a list to document what I've spent on each including repairs, but I'm thinking of making it easy for them and sell. My collection is also like a museum, a museum of forgotten things.

/Tom
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

JohnL wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:07 am
Kingfan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:38 pmHell, I'm 61 and have two toy cars and five pro quality trombones. It'll be along time before I start divesting!
I'll keep my players for as long as I can play, but the collection? It's really more of a private museum at this point, so finding someone I can trust who is willing and able to take it on will probably take a while. It basically takes up a small bedroom in our house (which means that whoever takes it will need to have a very understanding spouse/partner). I'm afraid that if I donate it to a museum, most, if not all, of it will end up forgotten in a storage facility somewhere.
Mine are all players. I'm afraid to ask how big your collection is!
Greg Songer
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Kingfan wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:50 pm Mine are all players. I'm afraid to ask how big your collection is!

John's collection (mostly Olds trombones) is substantial! See: http://www.ItsABear.com/horns/horns.html
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Had to dispose of a friend's horns many years ago. Kept one and let the other go to a good home (an Elkhart 88H, should have kept that too). I still see it occasionally. Donations to a relevant charity.

Return to “Tangents”