Phoenix, rising from the ashes.

Spin your yarns here.
Kingfan

Phoenix, rising from the ashes.

Post by Kingfan »

I have a long thread under my "I took over a big band and I must be insane!" post. Long story short, I had to quit the band, sell my share, and walk away from it and the brass quintet I played in. Looking for someplace to play I could enjoy, I posted on Facebook that I was looking for playing opportunities. Serendipity kicked in - an old co-worker of mine icontacted an old high school buddy of his near me in Cleveland. He manages a small community band of 25. They just had their elderly conductor retire and a new conductor start. I went to the first rehearsal under the new guy. Only 13 musicians showed up :-(. The conductor, Ed, took it in stride and did an excellent job with what he had to work with. I'm in on the ground floor of a community band that has hit bottom and is on the way back up. I'm excited to see where we go from here! I also got a call from a buddy in a local community orchestra. They are doing "The Planets" next spring and said they will need help in the low brass. One door got slammed shut in my face, but other doors opened. :D
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
JohnL

Re: Phoenix, rising from the ashes.

Post by JohnL »

Kingfan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:31 amI'm in on the ground floor...
Maybe yes, maybe no.

You may find that not being an "original" places you in a situation much like being an employee of a family business. Not necessarily a bad situation, but you have to remember that, while you may be treated well, you will never be part of the family.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I've been in positions like this multiple times before, joining an existing group. A few were very clique-ish, but most were very welcoming. This group was the most welcoming of any I've ever joined.
Greg Songer
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Second rehearsal. More people showed up, band sounded better. The band manager/2nd trombone said me showing up has been a great burden off of him as his vision is bad (legally blind) and he was wondering how they were going to cover all the tbone parts. He just asked me to practice the solo tbone part for "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch" for a run-through Monday. I'll add that I am back on my King 4B after years of playing my 2B and 3B, and I'm falling in love with my large bore all over again!
Greg Songer
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

We took the Grinch solo down an octave and gave it to the bass trombone. Also we dispensed with the cup mute.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

The bass player has a shiny new Shires. I hope he plays it, and down an octave would be killer.
Greg Songer

Return to “Tangents”